BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Not sealing up my beesuit

• share the funny, scary & the completely stupid things you've seen & heard
share the funny, scary & the completely stupid things you've seen & heard
 #504  by beebench
 04 Sep 2018, 19:26
I got complacent and just wore crocs and didn't do my cuffs properly. My normal bees were not happy that day and I got stung 15 days all up my legs and arms. I won't make that mistake again! :(
 #506  by Patrick
 04 Sep 2018, 20:05
A classic beebench.

Usually preceded by the thought “I’m only going to xyz... so don’t need to bother.”

Likewise see “ don’t need to take a
Lighted smoker this time just to ...”

More than once when taking someone with me and I have been so focussed on making sure they are proper done up I totally fail to zip up my own veil and then wonder why my hood is full of bees. Duh..
 #644  by DianeBees
 16 Sep 2018, 14:23
I've got elastic loops on my tunic tops but the elastic needs replacing as it isn't keeping them in place. Stings on the wrist really hurt!

The elastic thumb loops on my suit work absolutely fine. I don't wear it very often though.
 #648  by Nigel Pringle
 16 Sep 2018, 16:51
We all have the Tshirt for that one. What is worrying, despite the swearing that I'll never do that again, we still do it!
I didn't even notice the last time I did it until I came to take my suit off...Fortunately, my girls are mainly well behaved so this time no harm doen!
 #917  by Sedgley1
 02 Oct 2018, 15:32
I have found that a second "finger loop" at the end of each arm makes it ten times easier to pull up the rubber gloves.
 #1048  by Fishman
 12 Oct 2018, 11:24
Didn't seal up my smock properly ended up with a couple of bees inside the veil, amazing that I didn't get stung, very relaxed bees, they were a swarm being rehomed. Unluckily they absconded a couple of days later :/
 #2504  by hilly
 28 Mar 2019, 20:05
I did the whole its only a quick thing and bang 4 stings in my foot. I always wear boots..... I even had the boots in my car but decided to use my trainers :o
 #2506  by Chrisbarlow
 28 Mar 2019, 21:15
hilly wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 20:05
I did the whole its only a quick thing and bang 4 stings in my foot. I always wear boots..... I even had the boots in my car but decided to use my trainers :o
that adds insult to injury, took the kit and still didnt put it on.. ouch!
 #3362  by Alfred
 04 Jun 2019, 15:59
My one nasty colony won't be beaten.
I've got myself armoured up well now,so they wait until well after the inspection when I've taken the suit off....
 #3400  by DianeBees
 06 Jun 2019, 09:20
I've had bees in my hood twice recently. Once with a cheap chinese tunic (have worn them for 6 years without a problem and still can't see how anything got in) and second in a full suit because some bee crawled up through the gap, but don't know how.
First time I took about 5 stings and swore a bit. Second I got rid of it.