BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• How do you get on the swarm list?

• REPORT A SWARM FOR LOCAL BEEKEEPERS.
REPORT A SWARM FOR LOCAL BEEKEEPERS.
 #318  by charliebravo
 16 Aug 2018, 20:22
I'm not sure I want to go on the swarm list as it sounds like it can be a bit stressful, but how do you get on it?
Do you have to do a course in collecting swarms beforehand?
 #371  by nealh
 21 Aug 2018, 17:32
charliebravo wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 20:22
I'm not sure I want to go on the swarm list as it sounds like it can be a bit stressful, but how do you get on it?
Do you have to do a course in collecting swarms beforehand?
Your local association should have this Q on their subs form when renewing, the Sec will then forward your details to Area Assoc and then on to BBKA if you wish to be a collector.

Problems can arise if you are the only one locally you can become inundated with calls then where do you put off load any swarms, one or two may be handy but if you end up with many more even 10 or more you may soon get a bit fed up if no one else can take them from you.
As a beekeeper though you can show off your collecting skills as many are fascinated of how you retreive them, this can take 10/15 mins or less or up to 3 or 4 hrs for a trickier one.

Sturdy cardboard boxe's are good 16 - 18" square or a lightweight nuc box, clean old bed sheet to lay on the ground and then wrapping sround said cardboard box. Trigger spray bootle with water or light syrup is useful, as is a cheap jacket and veil used soley for swarm collecting only. I try and reuse the same old sturd cardboard box as over time bees will leave wax residue which encourages future swarms to quickly relocate to said box and stay.
 #376  by DianeBees
 22 Aug 2018, 12:13
Our group asks that people have some training or experience first, and then aim to get them to help collect a swarm before they're sent off on their own.
We've got a powerpoint that we use to discuss how to collect swarms.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B6EFI ... I9eQoyIGh8

You need to always remember that breaking a leg is not worth it just to collect a swarm.
Ideally you'd have a separate apiary to put swarms in so they don't bring disease into your own apiary.
 #377  by DianeBees
 22 Aug 2018, 12:27
My own swarm call protocol involves getting a photo off whoever is calling. With mobile phones all having a camera on there's no excuse for anyone to not be able to send a photo. If they can't, then they need to ask a neighbour.
And swarm collecting it always more fun when there's two of you. :)
 #380  by nealh
 22 Aug 2018, 21:33
I have refused a swarm or two in the past on arriving to collect them. Sometimes callers don't give the full facts of the location or position of said swarm and think a magic wand or a flute is used.
 #384  by DianeBees
 23 Aug 2018, 11:51
nealh wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 21:33
I have refused a swarm or two in the past on arriving to collect them. Sometimes callers don't give the full facts of the location or position of said swarm and think a magic wand or a flute is used.
We were told bees were on a sign and it was quite high up. I asked if they had access to a ladder, they said yes, so we went.
Got there and the ladder was a two step affair that wasn't any use for reaching the bees. The local window cleaner wasn't at home so there were no bees collected that night.
 #10802  by AdamD
 08 May 2021, 17:39
I am not sure about this either. I get occasional calls from my local BKA or from people who know that I have bees but I am not listed on the current BBKA website and I am not sure why! (althoughI get enough calls already). Maybe a call to the BBKA is needed if you are not getting anywhere with your local contacts and see what the process is.

I am not implying anything with your local association however it has happened in the past that some local swarm co-ordinators considers swarms as personal property once a call is received from a member of the public and then they do whatever they want with them! Some associations pass swarms on to beginners.
However in my association there are a few brave souls who man the 'phones and put calls out to whoever is nearby who can collect or help out - or more likely explain that some bees under a shed are actually bumblebees and not honeybees.
 #10893  by Scruffy89
 14 May 2021, 22:14
DianeBees wrote:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B6EFIC9Ws6uZz2xT1QGeGdI9eQoyIGh8
Hi DianeBees, I really like the powerpoint :D . Its full of useful information. Thanks for sharing it. Am I ok to use it and develop it further for my local beekeeping association? And whom should be given credit for its creation, i.e. has it come from members of any particular association?
 #12870  by DianeBees
 23 Jun 2022, 09:05
Scruffy89 wrote:
14 May 2021, 22:14
DianeBees wrote:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B6EFIC9Ws6uZz2xT1QGeGdI9eQoyIGh8
Hi DianeBees, I really like the powerpoint :D . Its full of useful information. Thanks for sharing it. Am I ok to use it and develop it further for my local beekeeping association? And whom should be given credit for its creation, i.e. has it come from members of any particular association?
Replying a little late here but - I made it and the photos that need crediting have been. The rest are mine :)