• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #3406  by Japey Edge
 06 Jun 2019, 18:26
NigelP wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 20:58
Japey Edge wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 11:42

If Abelo don't replace stock soon I may have to go for second best.
I can lend you some old wooden stuff until they do. It's a testament to Abelo that Lyson are currently running a 24/7/365 shift on the mold for their hives. Victims of their own success.
That would be great Nigel thanks! :-D

Next inspection will hopefully tell me what direction the bees are heading and how soon I will need equipment. I will drop you a message if I need a box thanks :-)

I hope they can cope with the demand
 #3421  by Japey Edge
 07 Jun 2019, 10:05
Just phoned Abelo and was informed national brood boxes will be available to ship out next week. The lad said he'd stick them as in stock on the website so they can be ordered now but shipped when available.

Pretty happy about that. I thought I was going to have to buy a full hive including the dodgy (my opinion) crown board :shock:
 #3426  by AdamD
 07 Jun 2019, 12:39
I had an early Paynes one - some of the design features were good. (Bee space good, fairly compatible with National). Daft, hugh hive floor, flimsy roof. However the material was too soft and I sold it. I also purchased a MB (paradise) Poly. Again some aspects OK but the bee space is wrong; the bee-crusher rails the frames hang on is daft. Doesn't take a standard excluder; doesn't take castellations in the supers. Frames don't fit properly....

From what I have heard, I guess it would have to be Abelo or Swienty for me although I have used neither. So it's cedar at the moment with insulation on the crown-board, both winter and summer.
 #3450  by Japey Edge
 08 Jun 2019, 20:05
I've just ordered an unpainted Abelo hive with BB and 2 supers. Very well priced as I didn't fancy the crown board but it's cheaper to get it in the kit. So I'll be butchering that and sticking perspex in... :-D
 #3477  by mikemadf
 10 Jun 2019, 15:22
The Allotment I assist at has Swienty: easy to use.
I have one MB poly Langstroth: no issues with that..(4 years old.. looks as new on the outside)
 #3517  by Japey Edge
 12 Jun 2019, 09:53
The unpainted hive arrived yesterday - fast service from Abelo. I'm impressed!

Now to paint it to look like another brick BBQ... :lol: