BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Best Poly Hives

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #3370  by Japey Edge
 04 Jun 2019, 22:41
Hi guys, my apologies if this has been covered but I tried searching for it and the result was this:

"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: poly hive."

So my question is to poly hive users - which is your favourite and why?
Any additional information would be helpful - ie density of polystyrene, if they come painted or need treated, are they interchangeable with wood or other poly hives etc.

I have one hive and it's an Abelo national. I like it, except the crown board which I'm going to change out for a perspex one. I want to buy another but they're out of stock of standard deep boxes and even 14x12s. So this is the reason I ask about alternatives, then I can see what is as good, or better than, what I have and if they'll work with each other if I swap boxes around.
 #3373  by Alfred
 05 Jun 2019, 06:22
Drawing on my vast Cushmaneesque experience,I'd stick with Abeilo and use flatpack cedar components until the ones you need are available again.
You could then sell them on afterwrds
 #3376  by Chrisbarlow
 05 Jun 2019, 08:03
You ask which is the best, Imo it's abelo. 160g/l, painted and the same footprint as wood.

An alternative that's said to be good is sweinty but I personally have never used them. May be others could comment

I've used maisemores and Payne's and neither are as dense at 100g/l, they have different footprints and are not painted. My Payne's hive after 5yrs use looks really beat up. Using it with wood leaves under and over hangs. I don't like this.

I still use wood and interchange kit with abelo.
 #3380  by Japey Edge
 05 Jun 2019, 08:58
Thanks Alfred, that may be what I have to do.
Chrisbarlow wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 08:03
You ask which is the best, Imo it's abelo. 160g/l, painted and the same footprint as wood.

An alternative that's said to be good is sweinty but I personally have never used them. May be others could comment

I've used maisemores and Payne's and neither are as dense at 100g/l, they have different footprints and are not painted. My Payne's hive after 5yrs use looks really beat up. Using it with wood leaves under and over hangs. I don't like this.

I still use wood and interchange kit with abelo.
Chris this info is great - it's exactly what I was looking for. I know Abelo claim their boxes are interchangeable with wood and they show it, but I got the impression that other poly hives may physically sit on wood but have, like you mentioned, under/overhangs. I don't fancy that. I want my hives to be nice and neat. The density was a big seller for me with Abelo too. I like it and wouldn't want to go any less dense. Abelo poly is pretty good to screw into as well - I added toggle latches so it would all sit together nicely and lock in.
 #3382  by DianeBees
 05 Jun 2019, 11:23
Def abelo. Everything fits.
And it's ready painted and built when it arrives.
 #3383  by Japey Edge
 05 Jun 2019, 11:42
DianeBees wrote:
Thanks Diane, what are your second favourite? If Abelo don't replace stock soon I may have to go for second best.
 #3386  by DianeBees
 05 Jun 2019, 16:34
Japey Edge wrote:
DianeBees wrote:
Thanks Diane, what are your second favourite? If Abelo don't replace stock soon I may have to go for second best.

I have nationals so wouldn't want the PITA-ness of stuff not quite fitting right.

I did have another poly hive, but having seen how it worked at a friends with national kit I decided to sell it them instead.

Abelo or nothing.
 #3393  by NigelP
 05 Jun 2019, 20:58
Japey Edge wrote:

If Abelo don't replace stock soon I may have to go for second best.
I can lend you some old wooden stuff until they do. It's a testament to Abelo that Lyson are currently running a 24/7/365 shift on the mold for their hives. Victims of their own success.
 #3395  by Adam Bee
 05 Jun 2019, 21:39
Well, it's also such a swarm season. Lots of people seem out of stock on common items. I was looking at caddon-hives and they are 2 weeks behind on all assembly and out of stock on lots of items that are usually flat packed. I suppose lots of beekeepers are buying in new kit.
 #3396  by Chrisbarlow
 05 Jun 2019, 22:13
It has been an excellent season so far . I can see why people are needing extra equipment.