BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #12940  by JoJo36
 17 Jul 2022, 06:52
Well Nigel, I bought some of those outside feeders you recommended so filled them with water and put them on the hives to keep the bees hydrated!!!
They're pretty handy!
I inspected mine a couple of days ago when it was cooler and cloudy so that's it for me for at least another 3-4 days as the 'heatwave' won't be lasting too long!
 #12941  by MickBBKA
 17 Jul 2022, 16:40
Poured down here this morning so no need for water. Teesside always manages to fail the national forecast :roll: Very warm now though. :)
 #12942  by NigelP
 17 Jul 2022, 19:15
MickBBKA wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 16:40
Poured down here this morning so no need for water. Teesside always manages to fail the national forecast :roll: Very warm now though. :)
It was a drizzle at best with occasional splashy drops. :) Was all the way from Thirsk up to Wynyard this morning but so light didn't even need a rain coat on to set stalls up at this morning. But cool until lunchtime.
Was 30C when got back home....now rehydrating :)
How did you do at the show?
 #12943  by MickBBKA
 17 Jul 2022, 23:49
That's the thing you Southerners from Yorkshire don't understand. One day I had 9c difference in temp between here in Billingham and my apiary at the back of Wynyard. One day years ago we had 2 inches of snow in Wolviston and none in Billingham and its only across the field at the back of the house. Ground outside was soaked and all the garden furniture and cushions soaked through this morning. At least I don't need to water the grass until tomorrow now :lol:

Show was a great success thank you for asking :D

#12946  by AdamD
 18 Jul 2022, 11:01
NigelP wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 05:56
I think a case of non inspection until heat wave is over. Will probably place a water source near by.
Water nearby is a good idea Nigel. (Could hose down wooden ones mid-afternoon perhaps?
Some of my hives will be in full sun between midday and evening. Fine for winter but ....
Maybe my two white WBC's are the best solution when it's hot like this?

Bibba have suggested removing the varroa inserts to increase ventilation in the hives.

If we have insulated roofs, is it better to leave the insulation in place to stop the sun heating the hive, or remove it or even crack open the crown-board (matchsticks perhaps ?) to allow for a flow of warm air upwards.

[*]I hope that no one has MAQS or Apiguard/Apilife Var in their hives as the fumes due to increased temperature would be very difficult for the bees. . I was thinking of starting varroa treatment in some nucs a week ago but decided against it - thankfully.
 #12947  by NigelP
 18 Jul 2022, 12:32
MickBBKA wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 23:49
That's the thing you Southerners from Yorkshire don't understand. One day I had 9c difference in temp between here in Billingham and my apiary at the back of Wynyard.
Yes Mick, I know and have experienced the "Teesside Curse" many times, but that wasn't happening yesterday. At 5AM drove through continual drizzle from Thirsk, past Billingham and turned left to Wynyard. It lasted long enough to soak everything but had stopped by about 8AM.
Alternatively Billingham is the Bermuda Triangles of the NE :D
 #12949  by Alfred
 19 Jul 2022, 11:41
Had a collected swarm that was doing quite well lose all its comb in the heat.
Managed to get a bit of near liquid broodcells stringed back into a frame but otherwise it was a full on shookswarm onto wired base.
Due to unexpected demand for kit,these were on a solid floor, no roof isulation and foundationless frames.
I was ambivalent to these designs,and it was admittedly perfect storm situation,but now my minds made up.