BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #12806  by JoJo36
 08 Jun 2022, 05:40
I've never gone out at night to inspect my hives and imagining going out with a headstrap sporting a red light is starting to sound comically bizarre, unless you are joking Adam??!! :)
 #12807  by AdamD
 08 Jun 2022, 09:02
Not joking! I believe that commercial guys might do it sometimes.
I've needed a small torch to see eggs as dusk approaches; maybe I'll have to find a red light from somewhere and give it a go. (Maybe when no one is watching).
 #12809  by SuesBees
 08 Jun 2022, 14:49
That's interesting what you say about a red light or a red headlight, Adam. I have heard that an ultra violet torch is good for seeing eggs and larvae.
Any comments?
 #12812  by Alfred
 08 Jun 2022, 19:48
Swarm call .
Classic textbook garden furniture job.
Yawn.
But still way better than sat in front of Netflix dreading going work tomorrow.
Hardly enough for a frame let alone their own hive,so they are definitely on notice.
Got one nuc of drone layers so I might tip them out and see if they all get along.
 #12814  by JoJo36
 08 Jun 2022, 20:34
Alfred, Perhaps you could treat them to a mating hive as they obviously think they are bigger and more important than they really are??!! :)
Adam, our neighbours probably already think we are weirdos with walking around in our bee suits a couple of weeks ago to collect our own bees in next doors apple tree, if we go out with a head torch and/or an ultraviolet light they will call social services to get us sectioned!! :)
My husband who helped with the 'recovery' told a neighbour jokingly that there had been a radioactive leak and that was why we were wearing white suits and she should stay indoors??!! She believed every word when he informed her it was just a joke!! :)
 #12815  by Alfred
 08 Jun 2022, 22:11
They can stay in the correx with a comb and a slab of kingspan on the top until next week Jo
I can see if she's ready then.
The neighbours around the collection must have thought there was a klan meeting tonight with us in white.
 #12821  by NigelP
 10 Jun 2022, 13:11
On a roll....checked 5 hives for new laying queens and found 5 new laying queens, or evidence of their labour. To celebrate I made up a couple of new Nucs and gave them some eggs to get on with it.

On the bad side looks like I'll be back at the extractor again next week. Someone forgot to tell my bees about this June gap.....all it seems to do is slow them down a bit.
 #12822  by Cable_Fairy
 11 Jun 2022, 08:53
I have a swarm all week about 10 yards from my front door, it is all of three feet long and must be about a foot in diameter, the next door woman is going demented that no one is interested in getting it. It is 50 foot up a tree on the end of a branch that looks like it would not hold a sparrow.