BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Forage , what's flowering in your area?

• Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
 #12664  by MickBBKA
 30 Apr 2022, 01:42
OSR is well on its way with a lot of set flowers, Cherry about 50% finished, Willow done about a week ago, Hawthorne now in full flower, Dandelions got about a week or so left, Sycamore in full flower and Horse Chestnut looks like it will flower in the next week. Spring comes so fast with our super mild winters but its so cold. I looked at huge areas of different flowers and never saw a single pollinator. The proof will be in the top fruit at our allotment but I don't think much was pollinated, East winds of death stopped that.
 #12684  by AdamD
 03 May 2022, 09:43
Hawthorne flowering here. Horse Chestnut is starting too. We have a young red horse chestnut in the office car park which has just one flower head on it. It's a start!
OSR still in full bloom. Lots of dandelions.
Laurel seems to have flowered well this year - now finishing.
 #12686  by Alfred
 04 May 2022, 07:53
Conker in full spate around here,and an unusually massive showstopper from both bluebell and cowslip.
All of which are being ignored by the local pollinator crews.
I have poppy, cornflower and phacelia plantation beginning to make some effort but now the temps have started to pick up the rain prevents me from a day to get the borage down.
 #12689  by NigelP
 04 May 2022, 15:38
Hmmm, for some reason this post is not showing images.
So ignore this post and read the next. :arrow:
Last edited by NigelP on 04 May 2022, 15:55, edited 2 times in total.
 #12691  by NigelP
 04 May 2022, 15:53
OSR just coming into prime, Hawthorne is just starting, a few trees have a few flowers on them. Horse chestnut candles are still forming and are few weeks off flowering (That's the second tree in the photo, the one with leaves on).
The "empty" field on the left is field beans. Looks like the girls will have an extended stay.
First supers being harvested tomorrow from all 4 sites...

#12698  by Steve 1972
 11 May 2022, 11:32
The bees have loads to go at but the weather is so hit and mis this year..some colonies have two supers on and some have none..another strange year for sure.
 #12745  by MickBBKA
 30 May 2022, 00:43
Bramble out and Elderberry not far away, Hawthorne more or less finished, everything is very early this year and it hasn't been above 15c here since the end of March.
 #12781  by Alfred
 04 Jun 2022, 06:55
A bit of bramble
Sycamore just finished ,OSR long gone,hectares of buttercups- and some long grasses- thanks to Briggs and Stratton for that...

Bees are bringing in white ,yellow and bright red in quantity.
I'm guessing it's from the farmhouse over the lane

Uk pollen charts must be getting obsolete with the proliferation of imported flowering plants