BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Honey Dryer

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #11586  by Patrick
 26 Jul 2021, 19:55
:lol: :lol: sorry I went off piste there .. I was thinking about the problem I may have - not having taken off any spring honey - transposed it to a different topic altogether when we were talking about undersupering.

As you say - trying to liquify honey granulated in the comb is a rather tricky question which I don’t have a reliable answer for and haven’t attempted again recently. My attempts historically were not successful and I will leave it there..
 #11738  by Alfred
 16 Aug 2021, 08:00
How is the new tech running Adam?
I am keen to know if it was a success....
 #11782  by AdamD
 22 Aug 2021, 11:10
It works fine. At some point I will finish it off by putting a powersupply for the motor underneath.
I didn't need it for the part-filled supers this August as the water contect was OK. It did a good job with the OSR earlier in the year though.
 #11815  by Hornet99
 24 Aug 2021, 18:41
After working without a day off for the last three weeks I did my extracting until midnight last night and cocked up my calcs. I now have 75lb of honey in buckets at 20%. Whats the best way to get the moisture out please?

I would buy something like Adam has but I'm guessing its a rather special one-off?

Do you use a de-humidifier with the Abelo Nigel or just sit it in a room?
 #11816  by NigelP
 24 Aug 2021, 18:52
20% is legally fine.
But if i were to I'd do it in the frames pre extraction with the abelo supers heater.
 #11817  by Hornet99
 24 Aug 2021, 19:18
I was tired and thought by mixing I'd be ok.

Kicking myself hard cos I completely forgot I have a abelo honey dryer in the wardrobe upstairs :oops: now its in buckets and I'd like don to 18%
 #11821  by AdamD
 25 Aug 2021, 10:27
If honey is in an open bucket in a small room with a dehumidifier, (Not THE small room though) it will dry out eventually - as the surface area is not too large it won't be as quick as my model with the rotating disks.
However 20% is fine as Nigel says.
 #11868  by Hornet99
 30 Aug 2021, 21:36
Right chaps

I bought a new dehumidifier from Toolstation rigged it up in the airing cupboard and have ran it for two days and so far not one drop of moisture has been collected in the dehumidifier.

WTF am I doing wrong?
 #11871  by Alfred
 31 Aug 2021, 08:05
Bloke walks into a chainsaw shop and says"Ive got 500 trees to cut down so I want the best chainsaw youve got"
"There you go sir this is the best model on the market" the shop owner says.
A week later hes back ranting" Ive taken a whole week to cut one tree -theres something wrong with it"
Shop owner calls the mechanic out from the workshop and he starts up the saw.
"Christ almighty !"says the customer," what the hells that awful racket! "

You did plug the dehumidifier in didnt you?...... ;)

Ive been drying off some honey in what I thought was a dry room with a mini dehumidifier and its yeilded about 1.5 litres in a week.
It works faster with the honey in shallow baking trays so as to maximise the surface area and stirring regularly.
The shallowest tray has come down four percenr in 48 hrs while the honey in glass bowls has only dropped 1\2 a percent.
I think you may have a faulty unit unless the cupboard is really cold
Meaco do a product line called " Dessicant" that work at low temperature.
Toolstation ,sadly,appear to be in trouble of late,prices up availability poor and product sourced from too cheap a supplier quite often.
 #11872  by AdamD
 31 Aug 2021, 09:10
Hornet99 wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 21:36
Right chaps

I bought a new dehumidifier from Toolstation rigged it up in the airing cupboard and have ran it for two days and so far not one drop of moisture has been collected in the dehumidifier.

What am I doing wrong?
It's already very dry in the airing cupboard. ( I assume you have a bucket of honey in there to release some moisture?).
My dehumidifier reduces the air moisture content down to around 45% according to the instructions. If yours is similar, it may be that the airing cupboard never gets moist enough for the dehumidifier to work?