BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Microscope for pollen identification

• This discussion forum covers pollen, honeybee anatomy & biology.
This discussion forum covers pollen, honeybee anatomy & biology.
 #1690  by Ray J
 15 Jan 2019, 13:58
I would like to buy a good entry level microscope to use for pollen indentification in honey.

Can someone be good enough to recommend a suitable instrument and also any books that cover this subject.

thanks in advance ....
 #1691  by NigelP
 15 Jan 2019, 14:30
Microscopes are like pieces of string. In general the more you pay the better the lens quality and microscope. But have a look at Brunel http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/index.html
They do several entry level scopes that are more than acceptable plus all the kit and stains you need to look at pollen.

Pollen Identification for Beekeepers by Rex Sayer is as near a bible as you can get.
But be warned it's not easy....lots are simply round and many are sausage shaped....trying to distinguish what is what is not always easy....
 #1696  by AdamD
 15 Jan 2019, 20:01
I would love to have a good microscope with a camera but I have an old one where the stage has seized up a bit, so it needs some TLC. (eBay purchase some time ago). However I find it difficult to identify pollen even when I know the plant it's from!
Adam Leitch covered pollen identification in the December 2018 BBKA magazine. He is also running a pollen identification workshop at the BBKA Spring Convention in April which would be worth a look if you are able to attend.
 #1698  by Ray J
 16 Jan 2019, 09:55
Thanks Nigel and Adam , that is very helpful. My bees obtained an abundant supply of extremely good quality honey in early summer last year and I am intrigued to know where it came from.