BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Super frames

• More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
 #6165  by Patrick
 04 Apr 2020, 10:22
Yes that another good reason to check supers Mick. I only do it when inexplicably no eggs in brood chamber, no swarm cells and can’t find queen though.

So as I was saying, I never go into supers - apart from when I do :roll: :lol:
 #6174  by Chrisbarlow
 04 Apr 2020, 17:37
I have an odd box off 11 to start new frames in but then the rest are 9 castelations
 #6183  by MickBBKA
 05 Apr 2020, 02:08
AdamD wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 09:43
You confirm what I have seen Mick, that bees will move eggs around although some say that they don't. I have had the odd queencell above the 'excluder but I don't think I have had one go to maturity.
I have a great picture which I can't find of 4 perfect half drawn fully charged queen cells on a super frame. I had inspected and put the supers and roof back on without looking at them and some beekeepers subconscious niggle made me go back and have a look, little beggars nearly got me.
 #6553  by Steve 1972
 18 Apr 2020, 20:12
Abelo/Lyson poly boxes take eleven frames nice and snug fitting so no dummy board is needed like the cedar national boxes..the frame runner's are plastic and moulded into the poly box..glad the boxes are like this as casstilations do my head in and also tear my nitrile gloves..one season with casstilations made me get the hammer out and turn the flat edge up over...self spacing by eye is fairly easy.

Regarding how many super frames I use in my Abelo boxes..I use ten frames with new foundation or nine with extracted drawn frames..
It works well for me as I get the same amount of honey but use less frames which means less uncapping ..I know less clean wax to render but i can live with that..