BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• How Angry Would You Allow?

• More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
 #3480  by Adam Bee
 10 Jun 2019, 15:50
Jazz, I was surprised by the peace and quiet at my inspection yesterday, after pulling so many stingers out of my suit the time before. I guess one has I have enough hours handling the feisty little ladies to really understand them. I feel that I was both more gentle and less invasive this time than last: especially the fact that I buttoned them up 3/4 of the way through a full inspection. I think I’d feel different if I was getting actively stung each time, though. And mine are definitely a far cry from t-shirt, shorts, and no veil.
 #3482  by NigelP
 10 Jun 2019, 15:53
Chrisbarlow wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 21:39

I am happy to wait for that day. Although it is coming. I'm surprised there hasn't been a sighting yet this year.
I'm hearing some strange rumours emanating from London......
 #3483  by NigelP
 10 Jun 2019, 16:00
It's inevitable , despite ones best efforts, that you will end up with hives whose bees behaviour is unacceptable. It's why having an out Apiary is so valuable as you get rid of them there to deal with at your leisure.
I have one at the moment that went from being a real gentle no smoke needed hive to attack on sight almost overnight. There is a queen there somewhere but what she is and how she came to rule this hive is a puzzle...
I was inspecting in the rain today and many hives weren't on their best behaviour....this one wasn't.... as I took the crownboard off the super it was like black lava erupting from the hive...shut up fast beat a hasty retreat. Now have to plan how to deal with them with minimum pain...
 #3485  by Chrisbarlow
 10 Jun 2019, 18:27
NigelP wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 15:53
Chrisbarlow wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 21:39

I am happy to wait for that day. Although it is coming. I'm surprised there hasn't been a sighting yet this year.
I'm hearing some strange rumours emanating from London......
Ominous NP
 #3489  by Adam Bee
 11 Jun 2019, 08:24
So, I was reflecting on my inspections that became more aggressive each time I did them until this Sunday, when they were fairly docile again...

... and I realised I’d wasted my suit.

So, the alarm scent may have been an issue with the rise in aggression.
 #3491  by Adam Bee
 11 Jun 2019, 09:52
Yes. That too. The washing wasted my suit! It did open a 6” gap under the arm where the seam allowance wasn’t very good, and I only noticed when I was checking it out before putting it on at the association apiary. Next time I’ll check when it comes out of the washing machine.
 #3499  by Alfred
 11 Jun 2019, 14:45
That's a thought for me too.
I have lots of groundwork to do on the site so rather than having to work on after getting nailed I've been doing the bees last.
Perhaps I'm smelling a bit too 'gamey' for them by then.The bipod queen only moans about the smoke when I get home.
I did a quick feed run yesterday,without doing any of my own jobs, along with looking at the trays and even the most evil of the colonies was just mildly inquisitive.
 #3711  by MickBBKA
 23 Jun 2019, 01:04
I think there needs to be a whole lot more research into bee temperament than we understand at the moment. There are so many variables. bees, weather, forage, season, beekeeper, colony balance..etc
One thing that does come to light from what I read on forums is the regional traits and they can be very localised. But again it would take some in depth research to understand why.
I have 8 colonies of local mongrels in my garden that's is 8m x 8m. We have BBQ's, parties and all sorts and the worst we have had is being tormented by half a dozen wasps when there are probably 500,000 bees a few yards away.
I don't know if its a regional thing but we have a very brave window cleaner :D
Cheers, Mick.
 #3713  by NigelP
 23 Jun 2019, 06:37
And 30 miles down the road they will, unprovoked, attack the postie and follow his van for 1/2 mile....