BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Advanced Husbandry

• More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
 #1318  by Paulthebeek
 11 Nov 2018, 21:21
I’ve signed up to do the AH next year.
Any hints n tips? Any shared experiences/comments?
Cheers guys
 #1322  by DianeBees
 12 Nov 2018, 16:23
https://www.bbka.org.uk/practical-assessments
has
Advanced Husbandry syllabus
Advanced Husbandry Guidelines for candidates

The second document gives reasons why people failed. I know someone who failed last year because he struggled with the grafting. He's passed this year though. He did say someone else failed 2 sections.

BBKA News Jan 13 - Taking the Advanced Husbandry by Margaret Murdin. Margaret describes her preparation and then her experience of taking the assessment.
You can read that via the BBKAnews.com site

I think I'll be taking it in 2020.
 #1325  by Jim Norfolk
 12 Nov 2018, 17:30
Take the Microscopy exam first. That will give you a shorter day. I found the day too long for me. I got to the apiary inspection last and I was too exhausted to think clearly and messed it up. Normally I very rarely get a sting, I have had none this year, but managed to attract 6 stings from that one colony at Stoneleigh. Good luck.
 #1342  by Jim Norfolk
 14 Nov 2018, 14:19
My mistake was to just roll up at Stoneleigh for the Advanced Husbandry without any formal instruction and hope to wing it. I was unable to get to the training sessions, so had no idea what to prepare. I am sure attending a 3 day residential course would enable participants to attune their beekeeping to that of the examiners, but £300! Its only a hobby.
 #1804  by BuntyBees
 30 Jan 2019, 19:30
It seems the format of the training has changed for this year, compared to 2018.
I undertook the two day training held on different days. It was very useful. For me two separate days required two additional journeys and associated accommodation, which I needed due to distance travelled, and probably amounted to £300 in total. We did have to squeeze some of the topics as well.
This year’s £300 gets you an additional day, plus accommodation I believe. It’s the conversations in between and after dinner that gives you lots of knowledge I’ve found.

I agree it looks a long day.
 #1955  by MickBBKA
 17 Feb 2019, 02:53
£300 is far too expensive, it really becomes socially and economically exclusive at that point. Where I live that is the cost of a car for some people.
I know the National honey show is not run by the BBKA but it's another example of this type of thing. We attended in 2017 and entry, travel, hotel and subsistence cost us over £600. It's never truly going to be a national event because of this.
I am preparing for the microscopy course and have spent in the region of about £500 already on equipment, that is before the assessment costs.
The BBKA really need to think about what the objectives are of the assesment and examination courses that are on offer. Is it just to promote education for affluent members ???
Although I am able to pay these fees I feel it will exclude many beekeepers who are either unable to budget for them or are unwilling because they may only have a small number of colonies and are purely hobby beekeepers.
I am aware that the government I think supposedly subsidise the cost of the assessment.
I live in one of the most socially and economically deprived areas in the whole country. I wonder if the BBKA have ever considered looking at the take up of these assessments and exams on that basis. I know that would be a lot of hard work but again it goes back to the objectives.
As a national association it should be all inclusive...……...This is not the way forward and needs a rethink.

Cheers, Mick.
 #1975  by NigelP
 17 Feb 2019, 22:15
Don't get me on about the BBKA exam system. I've done all the theory exams (credit) because it took me into areas of beekeeping I didn't know about. But as for the practical stuff....They failed someone on the new bee breeding course because he wasn't breeding mongrel bees. He is part of an EU Carniolan bee improvidence into VSH using II to maintain his lines. Sometime you can't make this stupidity up..
 #1976  by Chrisbarlow
 17 Feb 2019, 22:23
MickBBKA wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 02:53
£300 is far too expensive, it really becomes socially and economically exclusive at that point. Where I live that is the cost of a car for some people.
100% agree with you on that one. I went to a mates yesterday to see his microscopy set up. We were talking about set up costs and I believe beekeeping should be open to all however the start up costs for some modules are extremely expensive and becomes prohibitive for lots of people.

it is the same with the NHS and BBKA spring convention because of the static location it becomes very expensive to attend if you are not with a couple of hours drive . Not an open to all attitude they should both have.
 #1978  by Chrisbarlow
 17 Feb 2019, 22:31
NigelP wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 22:15
They failed someone on the new bee breeding course because he wasn't breeding mongrel bees. He is part of an EU Carniolan bee improvidence into VSH using II to maintain his lines. Sometime you can't make this stupidity up..
thats appalling, its bee fascism.