BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• pollen substitute home brew recipes?

• More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
 #9862  by Patrick
 24 Jan 2021, 18:23
Well because I am a sucker for trying out things (new to me, anyway), have purchased a tub of pollen sub and will see how the bees like it made up as patties.

I am not convinced at my colony numbers the findings will be terribly conclusive but if the spring weather is as bad as it was a couple of years ago it could be useful, as most of the colonies came out of that winter rather small that year. Picked up well enough in time but although still had winter feed I suspect may have run low on protein. If its a great early spring probably won't need anything.
 #9873  by Patrick
 25 Jan 2021, 23:46
The price of Ultra bee pollen sub seems to be increasing rapidly.

The 10lb pail I bought last week has gone up again and is now £33.54 plus carriage. Last year it was £22.00. The 50lb sack was £69.00 last year is now £104.47 plus carriage, over 50% price increase. Anybody know why?

I understand your pain Chris.
 #10227  by Sipa
 14 Mar 2021, 12:47
There is a significant difference between a pollen supplement and a pollen substitute.
At this time there nothing on the market that we could call a pollen substitute.
I make this comment as someone with experience and training in animal science and nutrition as well as a commercial beekeeper.

Although you will see them scattered all over the internet, many of which have glowing reports of success, kitchen sink recipe's just don't work and can in fact be very harmfull to bees. Those effects can be obvious or more likely subliminal and sub lethal but nevertheless no less damaging.
The range of ingredients available "over the counter" is not extensive and often not at all suitable for inclusion in bee diets, formulation takes skill and a lot of experience so don't be cheapskates and buy a commercial mix.
Even then quality and effectiveness varies enormously, in my opinion UltraBee is the one to use, the best of a not very good bunch but it's way ahead of anything else.
 #10228  by NigelP
 14 Mar 2021, 17:10
A recent paper https://tinyurl.com/y5qk4xsh has shown that feeding bees the proteins etc derived from a blue green algae commonly called Spirulina was even more efficacious than natural pollen. At around £17 a kilo not sure how cost effective it is though.
I've taken the the step of freezing several pollen frames from last year which will be added back to the bees if we get a mild day this month. At least they will be getting the real McCoy.
 #10229  by Steve 1972
 14 Mar 2021, 17:22
I have used ultra bee patties for the last two seasons for the spring build up..I get them from bee equipment that used to be manlake i think..?...I am undecided if the bees benefit from the stuff as some colonies munch on it like there is no tomorrow and some do not touch it..however all but the odd mongrel colony are equal in numbers come mid June...I will continue to use pollen subs just incase it does benefit in some way even though it seems grossly over priced.
 #10233  by Alfred
 14 Mar 2021, 18:34
On a crude basis to this, Ive supplemented my sugar cake with candipoline on selected hives and they've all done better.
I'd be tempted with the semolina,Nigel, even if the bees turn it down its supposed to be good for humans.
 #10235  by Sipa
 14 Mar 2021, 19:45
Steve 1972 wrote:
I have used ultra bee patties for the last two seasons for the spring build up..I get them from bee equipment that used to be manlake i think..?...I am undecided if the bees benefit from the stuff as some colonies munch on it like there is no tomorrow and some do not touch it..however all but the odd mongrel colony are equal in numbers come mid June...I will continue to use pollen subs just incase it does benefit in some way even though it seems grossly over priced.
You say it seems grossly overpriced. I'd be interested to know what benchmarks or algorithm you apply to value the benefit of a pollen sub ?
 #10236  by Steve 1972
 14 Mar 2021, 20:02
Sipa wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 19:45
Steve 1972 wrote:
You say it seems grossly overpriced. I'd be interested to know what benchmarks or algorithm you apply to value the benefit of a pollen sub ?
I would like to be polite to you..so read my take on pollen sub's again..
 #10240  by AdamD
 15 Mar 2021, 10:40
If bees can get out to bring in the pollen they need, they they are less likely to want a substitute. I have noticed in previous springs that if the weather is bad for a while and the bees can't fly, brooding stops if there is no pollen (protein) to feed the larvae with. So in some years a (decent) substitute will be more beneficial than others. I had a quick look at some nucs on Sunday and there was no pollen in the frames; in this case a little help could allow them to expand earlier in the season than otherwise.
 #10248  by NigelP
 15 Mar 2021, 17:32
Which is why I'm going to be adding previously frozen frames with pollen shortly. Had hoped to add in Feb, but just too damn cold, don't thinks we got above 6C all month.
We are in a pollen rich area, but not yet. Our Daffs are just beginning to flower and there is Alfred is already seeing cherry blossom. What a difference in climate.