BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• wide spaces in supers going from 9 frames to 8 frames

• More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
 #8652  by Chrisbarlow
 28 Aug 2020, 13:28
Patrick wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 12:09
Just out of interest, why are the fans of castellations er, fans of castellations?
Much less movement (damage) of the frames when moving boxes from apiary to extraction (in the back of a car or trailer)
 #8658  by Patrick
 28 Aug 2020, 17:04
Thanks Chris.

I did try them back along but didn't like the spacing being enforced on me, since I do use supers at narrow spacing to get drawn out then revert to the wider spacing after extraction. In fairness, I didn't persist. I could use them in the brood chamber but as I already use DN4 or DN5 Hoffman spacing maybe less point.
 #8659  by Chrisbarlow
 28 Aug 2020, 17:22
Patrick wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 17:04
Thanks Chris.

I did try them back along but didn't like the spacing being enforced on me, since I do use supers at narrow spacing to get drawn out then revert to the wider spacing after extraction. In fairness, I didn't persist. I could use them in the brood chamber but as I already use DN4 or DN5 Hoffman spacing maybe less point.
Like most things its personal choice. I do use Hoffman self spacers and 11 castelations in the brood because I also use poly nucs which have the inbuilt runners. So my frames are easy to move around. I've started with the spacers on these 8 supets because i couldn't find castelations at the time, but I think it's a lot of stuck in my old ways, so I don't like em but they certainly do jump around more in transit. Maybe I should drive steadier :D