BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Advanced Husbandry

• More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
More advanced beekeeping discussion forum.
 #1979  by MickBBKA
 17 Feb 2019, 23:26
Chrisbarlow wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 22:23

100% agree with you on that one. I went to a mates yesterday to see his microscopy set up. We were talking about set up costs and I believe beekeeping should be open to all however the start up costs for some modules are extremely expensive and becomes prohibitive for lots of people.

it is the same with the NHS and BBKA spring convention because of the static location it becomes very expensive to attend if you are not with a couple of hours drive . Not an open to all attitude they should both have.
I was told by a very senior member of the BBKA 2 years ago that they wouldn't hold the conventions in the North because the Southern beekeepers wouldn't attend and they make up the majority of the membership. Its a bit like having Wembly and the likes of the Olympic games in London. Problem for me is that it tends to make the national association speak with a Southern bias towards beekeeping. The outstanding example of that is this month in the apiary articles in the BBKA mag. They make very little sense to my beekeeping calendar but they are almost wrote as specific guidance rather than the sweeping generalisations that they are.

Cheers, Mick.
 #1981  by Patrick
 18 Feb 2019, 00:28
As a softy Southerner myself, I also agree Mick. Not just about the North vs South aspect but on a wider issue of assuming that everyone and their bees are likely to experience what you might or indeed is motivated to keep bees for the same outcomes. A few 100m of altitude anywhere from sea level or a coastal aspect vs inland, apiaries in the middle of an arable or improved pasture desert vs mixed natural forage, urban vs rural, expereinced vs newcomer - the list is endless.

We can't know always know from experience the conditions others keep bees in but we should caveat advice regarding dates and forage etc with the possibility that for others their experience may be very different.

I am not sure what to say about the cost aspect. I am not sighted on the practical considerations fory organisers of shows and conventions, but I am uncomfortable about the idea that to prove competence in some aspects of beekeeping obliges you to spend such considerable sums. I would not choose to spend the money whether I had it or not simply to pass a beekeeping exam, it doesn't float my beekeeping boat personally. I don't think beekeeping has been a cheap hobby for quite some time tbh and the commercial opportunism around the burst of new starters around 2010 made me, for one, uncomfortable not least the sudden hyperinflation around some sources of nucleus colonies.
 #1982  by Jim Norfolk
 18 Feb 2019, 09:25
I tried to get our local BKA to subsidise exams since those with qualifications were more likely to be involved in helping with apiary demos, talks, swarm collecting, mentoring etc. I got the Basic subsidised but as I was one of the few taking other exams it didn't seem right to ask for them to be subsidised. Some BKAs are sitting on a lot of money and still build their reserves from year to year. Time to invest in people maybe.
 #2002  by DianeBees
 19 Feb 2019, 09:26
Jim Norfolk wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 09:25
I tried to get our local BKA to subsidise exams ....................... Some BKAs are sitting on a lot of money and still build their reserves from year to year. Time to invest in people maybe.

It'd be a very valid use of funds to further aims of the BKA.

The cost of microscopes is expensive - again something perhaps a BKA could buy and allow members to use for the exam purposes (the learning how to use it and then producing material and then the assessment).

The books can be horrendously expensive - again something a good BKA could put money into to have a library for members to use.

All this equipment needs to be stored somewhere and accurate records kept of where it is and who is using it.
Some groups might argue they have a library/equipment and no one uses it.

Look up the aims of your BKA and then if you have funds sat gathering dust (certainly not interest) in the bank, then ask your BKA to spend some of it to help educate members. If your committee won't, then stand for election at the next AGM and get involved.
 #2003  by DianeBees
 19 Feb 2019, 09:28
MickBBKA wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 23:26

I was told by a very senior member of the BBKA 2 years ago that they wouldn't hold the conventions in the North because the Southern beekeepers wouldn't attend and they make up the majority of the membership. Its a bit like having Wembly and the likes of the Olympic games in London. Problem for me is that it tends to make the national association speak with a Southern bias towards beekeeping. The outstanding example of that is this month in the apiary articles in the BBKA mag. They make very little sense to my beekeeping calendar but they are almost wrote as specific guidance rather than the sweeping generalisations that they are.

Cheers, Mick.

If you have a suggestion for where you would like to have the Spring Convention then get in touch with the Spring Convention committee!

I'd hardly say Harper Adams is south though!
https://goo.gl/maps/2o5XuNgd2HD2
 #2004  by DianeBees
 19 Feb 2019, 09:29
Jim Norfolk wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 14:19
My mistake was to just roll up at Stoneleigh for the Advanced Husbandry without any formal instruction and hope to wing it. I was unable to get to the training sessions, so had no idea what to prepare. I am sure attending a 3 day residential course would enable participants to attune their beekeeping to that of the examiners, but £300! Its only a hobby.
Do you have Master Beekeepers in your area? Would one of them spend an afternoon with you giving you some pointers?
 #2015  by MickBBKA
 19 Feb 2019, 19:05
DianeBees wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 09:28

If you have a suggestion for where you would like to have the Spring Convention then get in touch with the Spring Convention committee!

I'd hardly say Harper Adams is south though!
https://goo.gl/maps/2o5XuNgd2HD2
Harper Adams is a 4 hour drive from where I live.