BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Removing Scum From Extracted Honey.

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #7656  by Steve 1972
 07 Jun 2020, 18:14
During the early days and even before you get to extract your honey you will not know this easy method and you will end up asking this question or doing google searches and watching youtube videos on how to remove the scum which floats to the top..
This is all i do.. as do many others which only takes seconds for each extracted bucket full of double filtered/strained honey ..

This is what it looks like once it has gone through the double strainers i use..it is mainly small particles of was that floats to the top..

What i do after it has been sat for two days is use a small sheet of cling film and place it over the surface of the extracted honey..i make sure it goes on even with no air bubbles..not always possible.. :D

After you have done this slowly peel the cling film of as low to the surface of the honey as you can..you sometimes never get all of the scum but i find a little left behind does not hurt..
This is for beginners who may not bother removing the scum or wonder how to remove it easily ..
Here is the end result and i hope it helps someone..

Steve.
 #7657  by NigelP
 07 Jun 2020, 18:30
Nice one Steve.
I find the "worst" scum appears in buckets of remelted OSR honey.
It takes several rounds of cling film to get rid of it.
 #7659  by Steve 1972
 07 Jun 2020, 18:44
You are not wrong Nigel..some of the buckets of warmed OSR honey would take a wall paper sized roll of cling film to remove it all.. :D .. last year and the year before i used a big table spoon to get rid of the thick of it before the cling film is deployed.. even then i could not get rid of all of it but that little bit left behind did not seem to alter or hurt the soft set that was made ..i still have some here from last year that is still half runny but soft set if you know what i mean..that will be saved for seeding any buckets of concrete this year.. :lol: