BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Beginner's Honey Extraction Methods?

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #4212  by Japey Edge
 22 Jul 2019, 17:52
Are you sure Nigel? I've been nothing but a pain in the neck to you :lol: I can't believe your patience with me!

Going to the association apiary tonight. Will see what the craic is there and get back to you. I don't want to be a burden if I can help it :D
 #4215  by buster
 22 Jul 2019, 19:12
AdamD wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 13:21
I was fortunate that I was able to borrow an extractor for a couple of years before I purchased an electric one (that takes a drill to power it). Generally honey is run through a double stainless steel strainer into 15 kg buckets. It might or might not set before it's needed, it is warmed before putting into a 'settling tank' and run into jars.
Hi Adam,
I've sent you a PM regarding Queens for sale, but I'm not sure the message has got to you, as it's my Outbox rather than my Sent items, and I can't see any way of flushing it out.
Can you confirm if you received anything?
Thanks,
Mike
 #4223  by Cable_Fairy
 22 Jul 2019, 20:33
I need a honey extractor for at most 15 frames, I was looking at Thornes Honey Processing Kit with Plastic Extractor, has anyone had any experience with it.
 #4231  by Adam Bee
 22 Jul 2019, 23:54
Drill motors make a great power source. The rest, tho’ would be up to experimentation and maybe plans on the internet. Let me know if you find any. I have a radial juice extractor (not nearly powerful nor big enough for honey) but it did make me wonder if there was a DIY Crush and SPIN solution.
 #4234  by Japey Edge
 23 Jul 2019, 08:42
procuring a food grade barrel shouldn't be too difficult. Fitting a tap nice and low shouldn't be too hard either. I think the problem will lie with getting the cage arrangement to sit the frames in. Then after that, the drive train. Motor, belts etc. shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe need to start by purchasing an old "parts only" extractor.

I like tinkering, will give most things a go once...
 #4238  by AdamD
 23 Jul 2019, 21:05
My extractor is a 8 frame model made by Giordan of Italy. It was sold by Agri Nova and cost me about £300 a few years ago. Way way cheaper than the 'usual' beekeeping suppliers. I then had a Bosch mains drill which I attached. It still works well with no problems at all. (It looks like Agri Nova have ceased trading now though).
 #4240  by Adam Bee
 23 Jul 2019, 23:40
AdamD wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 21:05
My extractor is a 8 frame model made by Giordan of Italy. It was sold by Agri Nova and cost me about £300 a few years ago. Way way cheaper than the 'usual' beekeeping suppliers. I then had a Bosch mains drill which I attached. It still works well with no problems at all. (It looks like Agri Nova have ceased trading now though).
https://www.giordaninox.it/en/products/category/1/26
 #4241  by Patrick
 24 Jul 2019, 08:29
Aha, that partly explains the mounting and gearing arrangement with a mains Imagedrill.

Was wondering. Thought the start up torque would be an issue and then the variable speed control as the combs empty.