BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Newbie From County Durham

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #2972  by Japey Edge
 09 May 2019, 08:16
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie who has still yet to get his first bees. My current situation:

- I bought and read through Ted Hooper's Guide to Bees & Honey
- I have watched loads of YouTube videos (Dirt Rooster, Barnyard Bees, UoG etc.)
- I purchased an Abelo National Poly Hive - one standard deep box and two shallows.
- I now own most of the basic items - hive tool, smoker, QE, straps, frames & foundation (standard deep and shallows), Jacket & veil, a bot of blue nitrile gloves.
- I also have a small ply nuc box set up as a bait box - with some frames with foundation and lemongrass oil in it.

I will likely be setting my poly hive out as a bait box too. I want my first bees and if I get a swarm I'll be pretty happy.

I've probably missed a few things out but that pretty much sums up my situation.

So, hello to everyone here on BBKA forum, I look forward to some interesting threads. If there is anyone in the North East please say a quick hello - it would be nice to gauge how much interest there is in my area.

Jazz
 #2974  by Chrisbarlow
 09 May 2019, 08:19
Good luck with your new hobby.

I would suggest getting to know a local beekeeper and try and help em if you can, there's no replacement for practical hands on. Maybe even visit you local association and have a chat to some if those folks.
 #2975  by Japey Edge
 09 May 2019, 08:41
Hi Chris, thanks for the reply :D

My wife and I attended a local beginner's course but the weather wasn't great so we didn't get to see bees unfortunately. In fact, the course felt like a waste of money as I didn't really learn anything I hadn't read in the book or seen on YouTube.

Hopefully there are some local beekeepers on here that wouldn't mind me shadowing them on the odd inspection.
 #2979  by Patrick
 09 May 2019, 10:22
Hi Jazz, welcome to the Forum also.

I know the problem you mention re repetiveness of beginners courses. I think it’s partly an issue of learning styles, partly generational. There are so many different routes to information available now, the audience often arrives spanning a wide range information already gathered. When I started we were awash with basic beginner books, it is the moving on from that stage which is the challenge- which some never seem to be much interested in doing oddly (to me, at least).

My only caveat to website info is that much is US experience which is not always transferable, some of the US beekeepers operate at a huge scale and their options are therefore often very different to a one or two hive operation and there is a range of practical experience underpinning some websites, with a lot of repeated “truisms”.

A lot of the “mystery” happenings on such videos are no mystery at all tbh.

When you get your bees I would recommend keeping management as simple as possible to start. The bees will introduce plenty of variations to keep you entertained :D
 #2984  by Japey Edge
 09 May 2019, 11:21
Patrick wrote:
09 May 2019, 10:22
Hi Jazz, welcome to the Forum also.

I know the problem you mention re repetiveness of beginners courses. I think it’s partly an issue of learning styles, partly generational. There are so many different routes to information available now, the audience often arrives spanning a wide range information already gathered. When I started we were awash with basic beginner books, it is the moving on from that stage which is the challenge- which some never seem to be much interested in doing oddly (to me, at least).

My only caveat to website info is that much is US experience which is not always transferable, some of the US beekeepers operate at a huge scale and their options are therefore often very different to a one or two hive operation and there is a range of practical experience underpinning some websites, with a lot of repeated “truisms”.

A lot of the “mystery” happenings on such videos are no mystery at all tbh.

When you get your bees I would recommend keeping management as simple as possible to start. The bees will introduce plenty of variations to keep you entertained :D
Hi Patrick and thanks for the welcome :D

Yeah I am enjoying what I'm learning through books, videos etc. - unfortunately I haven't managed to find many UK videos as interesting/entertaining as those I mentioned earlier based in the US/Canada. I see what you're saying about non-transferable information. An example I can think of now (correct me if I am wrong) is they can struggle with hive beetles, which are not over here at the moment.

I was handed an application form to the association that took the beginner course, but I'm not sure if I want to sign up - is this something strongly advised?

And regarding keeping it simple - yes I definitely want to do that. Although no doubt I'll mess something up :lol:
 #2988  by AdamD
 09 May 2019, 12:47
Try videos from The Norfolk Honey Company - Stewart's Beekeeping Basics. You can tell that Stewart is passionately keen on his beekeeping and his videos are pretty good - I've only watched a few of them though.
I did see a Barnyard Bees video - can't remember which one - and wasn't impressed by some of the stuff in it :(
 #2992  by Caroline
 09 May 2019, 19:15
Hi Jazz, welcome to the forum and world of beekeeping.

You ask about joining a local Association. This is something I would recommend. It needn't be with the association that ran the course, you can choose any that is within a reasonable distance; have a look at the BBKA website and see which associations are near you and then look at their websites and see which you feel you would like to join. As a member you can be involved as much or little as you like. An association with a training apiary or the opportunity to look at bees belonging to other members is always a useful way to learn more about handling bees and the craft of beekeeping.

Joining an association will include membership of the BBKA. Also register on BeeBase and opt for email alerts, so you are kept informed of important information regarding pests & diseases and other problems where they recommended checking colonies.

It is important that you know the contact details of your local bee inspector. Also that the bee inspector knows you and your apiary exists, should there be an outbreak of a notifiable disease in your area.

Good luck.
 #2997  by MickBBKA
 10 May 2019, 03:17
Hi Jazz,
Your profile says Durham but thats a big area. I am in Billingham which is Durham in old money. I am a member of Cleveland beekeepers and we are a very friendly, progressive and open association. We run beginners, improvers and more advanced courses. We do also try to pair every new beek with a mentor. That sounds like what you need to me ?