BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• New colony new keeper

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #2941  by Alfred
 06 May 2019, 13:37
I've seen it discussed before elsewhere-if they have not yet forgotten their old routes there is a chance that discovering an old flight path could cause them to switch back .
I don't think that would happen in this case as they would be doing double distance by that point .
Also a fresh nuc assembled at lunchtime might not contain many foraging bees that would know the pathways anyway?
 #2943  by NigelP
 06 May 2019, 13:58
AdamD wrote:
06 May 2019, 09:30

(For the past 3 or 4 years I have an apiary which is under 600 metres from my home and I don't see too many bees return home if I move a colony from one to another).
Yup... I have one about 1/2 mile away from my garden apairy and regularly move colonies between them with no returns (to date!).