BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Looking to get into Beekeeping in London area.

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #2609  by Angelus874
 04 Apr 2019, 13:52
Hi all,

As the title says I am looking to get into Beekeeping in London, specifically Romford/Dagenham. I have tried to find beekeepers in my area but the Romford page seems to have been taken down.

I have gathered a lot of information about how to keep bees and to look after their general well-being but I was wondering if there was any funding to get started perhaps? And where a good place would be to set up a hive? An allotment?

If anyone could help me with some of this information I would be grateful
Kind Regards.
 #2616  by Patrick
 04 Apr 2019, 19:20
Hi

The BBKA find a local branch site at https://www.bbka.org.uk/find-beekeeping-near-you
suggests the Epping Forest Branch may be the nearest.

As most beekeepers are hobbyists there is no national funding to start up but it is conceivable there my be something more local to you but is something your local association would be aware of.

Bees will hypothetically forage over several square miles so in that regard they only need somewhere for a hive to be safe and not cause a local nuisance. Unless you have a sizable garden, the reality is rather different if placing on somebody else's land. That one is a thread on its own, but in brief if its not your land - you need a clear preferably written understanding with the landowner as to regular access at possibly unusual hours, preferably close vehicular access, a clear understanding as to who owns what including any honey crop, an understanding regarding notice periods to remove the hive(s) if the owner change heart, an idea of alternative locations if you need to remove them in a hurry, etc etc. It may sound a lot but actually your local association may already have a list of locals who would like someone to host a hive or two. Allotments can be okay but are not without complications either.