BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What suit should people start with?

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #1392  by DianeBees
 21 Nov 2018, 16:54
I started with an all in one bee suit. Still got it, but don't wear it very often.

I mostly wear the thin tunics and have a selection of them so there's always at least one clean ready to go.

We put people in to all in one suits for our beginners sessions as people feel more protected and safe from bees finding ingress. We do a visual check that everyone is in their suits right before we get to the bees. We do have one tunic top - a zip up sherriff one we were given.

We have had sessions where people have tried on a variety of suits for style and sizing to help people decide which one they should get.
 #1394  by Patrick
 21 Nov 2018, 18:03
As mentioned elsewhere when starting out I personally think an all in one is highly preferable for the reasons you mention plus a few others.

Beginners often start from a variety of views, bit anxious of being stung to thinking they never will be and everything in between.

Fact is, no two colonies are the same or indeed stay the same throughout the season. You should be able to concentrate on working out what you are seeing in front of you not worrying about that tickling insect sensation under your shirt.

You can get a bit sweaty in an all in one but if only dealing with a couple of hives it keeps your clothes clean.
 #1395  by Chrisbarlow
 21 Nov 2018, 19:28
all in one to start with for sure. far more secure.

as for which one, depends on your budget. but I would suggest a well made British one from BBwear or Sherrif.
 #1396  by Cable_Fairy
 21 Nov 2018, 20:33
I went for an Apibee, (someone in the local BBKA sells them), I am not really impressed as the zips have already broken. What I would like is one with a clear face panel as my eyes seem to focus on the mesh and not the frame in front of me.
 #1398  by NigelP
 21 Nov 2018, 20:57
I'd highly recommend the Oz Armour suits. They are ventilated and guaranteed no stings through thermesh. I was beekeeping this hot summer in one with nothing but shorts on underneath. Highly recommended.
Not cheap, but then quality rarely is.
 #1402  by Patrick
 22 Nov 2018, 08:25
I haven’t heard of them Nigel, sounds good.

As I now need glasses to see eggs etc I find wearing a cheap towelling head band underneath hood helpful if moving lots of kit. Just remember to remove it when unzipping the hood ‘cos you do look a nugget!
 #1403  by Jim Norfolk
 22 Nov 2018, 10:52
I have had the same white BB wear suit for 10 years and the only thing to break is one of the rings to pull the zip on the hood. It is however still useable but I am thinking of asking them to repair it over winter. I bought a second BB wear suit 5 years ago which I keep for best, to wear when visiting apiaries etc. Definately worth buying a good quality British made bee suit and for piece of mind an all in one rather than just a jacket if you are doing inspections. One other tip is to wear a hat with a peak. This helps hold the veil away from the face.

My newer bee suiy is a sort of beige colour, what colours do others use?
 #1413  by AdamD
 24 Nov 2018, 10:14
I started with a loaned smock type veil which was OK but was old and the mesh started to rip. I have another one that is used as a 'spare' of for just slinging on for a minute or two and the problem with that is if you bend over, the hat/veil falls off my head - so a bend-over test might be wise if anyone has the opportunity to try something on first. I did buy a full length suit from one of the main suppliers a few years ago and it was rubbish - zips failing and the mesh failed, thumb elastic failed - all within a year. I have had for a number of years, a BJ Sherriff suit; it's used a lot and is just slung in the back of the car or whatever and it has been perfect. The thumb-elastic has now failed - a winter job to repair.
Note: If you use black elastic for the thumbs (to hold the sleeve of the suit down to your wrist), it seem to become a target for stings! So I keep the suits white. In just boxer shorts underneath in summer, it still gets hot in there. I guess that beige would be a fair colour, some of the other options may either a)attract unwanted interest from bees or b) be too hot.

[*]BJ Sherriff used to (they may still do) supply free welding gauntlets with their suits with the wrist elastic designed to go over the gauntlets; so obviously far too loose. (This was apparently their customers preference). I got them to adjust the wrists for me so they would fit a wrist (!) I asked for money off for no gauntlets as I would never need them; however they said no. The gauntlets have still never been used. I am not even sure where they are.[/i]
 #1414  by AdamD
 24 Nov 2018, 10:15
NigelP wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 20:57
I'd highly recommend the Oz Armour suits. They are ventilated and guaranteed no stings through thermesh. I was beekeeping this hot summer in one with nothing but shorts on underneath. Highly recommended.
Not cheap, but then quality rarely is.
So the no sting guarantee is for when you encounter your local girls, I guess? ;)
 #1416  by NigelP
 24 Nov 2018, 10:39
Or when my F1 queens get superseded and I end with dodgy F2's. Happens more frequently than I would like.