BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Cluster of bees under my hive

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #692  by Flosshall
 19 Sep 2018, 13:45
Bees are clustering under my hive, hanging from the mesh floor. They have been there for 5 days now and numbers are gradually increasing. The Queen is in the hive. They are being fed. I have two other hives and there are no clusters under those. I don't know if this is normal, why they are doing this and if I should be doing anything about it. I would appreciate some advice on this. :|
 #696  by Nigel Pringle
 19 Sep 2018, 16:52
Is there enough bee "parking" space inside the hive? If it's congested add a super (under the brood box) to give them some room.
Or are you using thymol or Maq varroa treatments at the moment?
 #704  by AdamD
 20 Sep 2018, 09:21
To remove the cluster, take off the brood box and put it to one side on an upturned roof. Lift up the floor and take it a metre or two away and bang it down sharply on, say another upturned roof, so the bees fall off. You can check to see if there is a queen present - just in case. Put the floor back but put the varroa tray/insert in to stop the bees from going back and getting fed through the mesh floor; or use a solid floor for a week or two if you have one. (If you don't put the varroa tray in, bees will probably congregate under the floor again). Re-assemble the hive.
You usually find bees under the hive if you have a clipped queen and she has tried to swarm.
 #715  by JohnnyLondon
 20 Sep 2018, 20:02
Nigel Pringle wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 16:52
Is there enough bee "parking" space inside the hive? If it's congested add a super (under the brood box) to give them some room.
Or are you using thymol or Maq varroa treatments at the moment?
I have the same on one of two hives, but reckon its because of use of Varroa treatment menthol (Apilife Var). The bees moved away from it instantly on introduction. I'm replacing the (Apilife Var) every week for four weeks, week three this Saturday. I also have Apistan strips in the hive at the same time.
 #717  by Patrick
 20 Sep 2018, 21:27
Hi Johnny

I don't know if you were advised to do it, but I would be a bit cautious about putting on two treatments at once.

Lot of pesticides (and miticides are a form of insecticide) are extensively trialled before coming to market but not necessarily ever intended to be used in combination.

I remember Jamie Ellis of Florida State making a striking point at a lecture about varroacides being an insecticide which is being used in a box of .. insects. He had a point.
 #750  by DianeBees
 23 Sep 2018, 11:08
JohnnyLondon wrote:
I have the same on one of two hives, but reckon its because of use of Varroa treatment menthol (Apilife Var). The bees moved away from it instantly on introduction. I'm replacing the (Apilife Var) every week for four weeks, week three this Saturday. I also have Apistan strips in the hive at the same time.

Two products at once doesn't sound good.

Isn't Api Life Var for three weeks? I must admit I read their instructions yesterday I needed to have a coffee and a re-read.

From the instructions for Api life Var
http://cru66.cahe.wsu.edu/~picol/pdf/WA/49069.pdf

Two treatments per year may be made. A treatment (3 tablets) consists of the following:
Take one pack and cut the pack in half lengthwise. Each half pack will contain two pieces that should equal one whole tablet. Each half will treat one colony. Break the two half tablets into two pieces and place the 4 pieces around the edge of the brood nest on top of the top bars. Avoid placing the tablets directly above the brood nest. After 7 to 10 days replace with a second fresh tablet broken into 4 pieces as above. Repeat procedure again with third tablet, 7-10 days later and leave last tablet for 12 days. After 12 days remove residuals from colony.

Why do they make treatments in pack sizes other than one hive? How long does it keep once you've opened it and broke it in half?
 #829  by JohnnyLondon
 26 Sep 2018, 20:52
Patrick wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 21:27
Hi Johnny

I don't know if you were advised to do it, but I would be a bit cautious about putting on two treatments at once.

Lot of pesticides (and miticides are a form of insecticide) are extensively trialled before coming to market but not necessarily ever intended to be used in combination.

I remember Jamie Ellis of Florida State making a striking point at a lecture about varroacides being an insecticide which is being used in a box of .. insects. He had a point.
Hi Patrick and Diane, Thanks for the feedback. My bees are in central Italy, a small rural area. Due to lack of practical knowledge, I've relied on the habits of a local keeper who looks after about 200 hives. He uses Apilife Var for four weeks, and also concurrently Apistan.
I'm happy with the four week period for using Apilife Var. What freaks me out is that each Saturday, nothing remains of the Apilife Var tablets. Have the bees tidied it up and removed same from hives?
The Apistan, I was told to leave in at the same time.
I just want to ensure that my bees get through winter in one piece.
 #830  by JohnnyLondon
 26 Sep 2018, 20:54
DianeBees wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 11:08
JohnnyLondon wrote:

Two products at once doesn't sound good.

Isn't Api Life Var for three weeks? I must admit I read their instructions yesterday I needed to have a coffee and a re-read.

From the instructions for Api life Var
http://cru66.cahe.wsu.edu/~picol/pdf/WA/49069.pdf

Two treatments per year may be made. A treatment (3 tablets) consists of the following:
Take one pack and cut the pack in half lengthwise. Each half pack will contain two pieces that should equal one whole tablet. Each half will treat one colony. Break the two half tablets into two pieces and place the 4 pieces around the edge of the brood nest on top of the top bars. Avoid placing the tablets directly above the brood nest. After 7 to 10 days replace with a second fresh tablet broken into 4 pieces as above. Repeat procedure again with third tablet, 7-10 days later and leave last tablet for 12 days. After 12 days remove residuals from colony.

Why do they make treatments in pack sizes other than one hive? How long does it keep once you've opened it and broke it in half?
Thanks Diane, I'm sticking with four weeks treatments, as that is what is instructed by the manufacturers.
 #833  by DianeBees
 27 Sep 2018, 12:15
JohnnyLondon wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 20:52
What freaks me out is that each Saturday, nothing remains of the Apilife Var tablets. Have the bees tidied it up and removed same from hives?

They don't like newspaper either. If you've ever seen how they drag bits of paper out of the front you'd know just how tidy they like it inside.