BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Questions on Feeding

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #8754  by Steve 1972
 05 Sep 2020, 09:59
Polystyrene is not as good as Celotex/Kingspan,,i am not sure if the same applies for inside the hive but for every 50mm thickness of Celotex you need 100mm thickness of polystyrene to give the same benefit when insulating a house..also the Celotex has the sides already coated in foil so you only need to tape the exposed edges once you have cut it..

Patrick No that tape is not to deter wasps.. :lol: ...it is all i had to hand at the time when making them..i normally use aluminum tape but i had ran out of the stuff...the little protruding screws on the top bar side of the insulation are to lift them out instead of digging my hive tool into them.. ;)
 #8756  by AndrewLD
 05 Sep 2020, 11:59
DaveG wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 21:36
Thank you all so much for the advice. It has been very useful.
I'll probably stop the sugar syrup in late September.
Again many thanks for your help.
Good idea - once temperatures drop the bees can't process the syrup and you'll be wasting your time as well as ending up with mouldy uncapped cells (I think someone has already mentioned adding a bit of thymol to stop that but better to get the feeding finished in good time).
 #8763  by Steve 1972
 05 Sep 2020, 19:15
AndrewLD wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 11:59
Good idea - once temperatures drop the bees can't process the syrup and you'll be wasting your time as well as ending up with mouldy uncapped cells (I think someone has already mentioned adding a bit of thymol to stop that but better to get the feeding finished in good time).
I still have umpteen supers to remove and extract yet Andrew ..some will come of tomorrow and i will take the rest of over the next week or two..any that will not be extracted will be Nadired and the bees will be fed thymol 2:1 syrup till they stop taking it..some collonies can go to late October till that stops..all in Poly by the way but what a fine balancing act we have to deal with.. ;)