BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Stimulating drawing comb at this time of year

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #8538  by Andy_mac
 21 Aug 2020, 13:00
Both of my hives still have a few frames to be drawn and I'm worried that if the bees don't draw them soon, they will struggle to over winter.
I've been moving some undrawn frames between drawn frames and the bees have drawn them a little.
Currently feeding with 1:1 syrup, is there any other way to 'encourage' the bees to draw out the comb?

Cheers, Andy
 #8540  by AdamD
 21 Aug 2020, 13:54
Bees only draw comb if they have a need to, so I would continue to feed them steadily over the next few weeks. Steady feeding will tend to encourage brood-rearing so better than one September-large-feed if the colony is not too big. If you want them to lay down stores for winter, I might be inclined to give them thick syrup from September as they will have less water to evaporate off before capping it. With low varroa and plenty of bees and an insulated hive rather than a ventilated one, should see them good until spring. I try to have feeding finished by the end of September.
 #8541  by NigelP
 21 Aug 2020, 18:07
As above, The good thing about getting comb drawn this time of the years is no drone sized cells, something that mainly happens early season when they need drones. Feed and they will draw.
 #8543  by Chrisbarlow
 21 Aug 2020, 18:56
I would add, move foundation frames in-between drawn comb frames. I would even be happy sticking one in the centre of the brood nest. That'll help them draw comb.
 #8560  by huntsman.
 23 Aug 2020, 14:38
Early in the year it 'sometimes' helps to spread the brood but I would never put drawn or undrawn foundation between frames with brood, thereby splitting the nest.

Sealed brood acts as a heat-sink and even gives off some heat. I wouldn't want to upset their thermodynamics.