BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• When to add a super

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #3729  by Caroline
 23 Jun 2019, 18:23
Hi,
It depends on the size of the colony, the amount of stores available, and whether there is a flow of nectar. This time of year can be tricky, depending on the existence and timing of any 'June gap'. If adding a super of foundation they will usually only draw the wax if weather is warm enough and there is a flow on.

Two responses:
1. If your bees are in a full hive, with bees across 7 frames, I would super them.
2. However, if they are low on stores in the brood chamber and require feeding, do not add a super at the same time as feeding.

You'll be able to tell if they are finding a nectar source by wet stores in the brood frames.

Good luck.
 #3734  by NigelP
 23 Jun 2019, 19:24
Worth basing it on more space is better than less space....
As Caroline says depends on size of colony...which is a judgement thing...which if first colony is difficult as you don't (yet) have enough experience to know if packed or empty with bees.
I'd go with a rough guideline as in when you remove a frame of bees is it totally covered such that you cannot see most of the underlying cells? IF so time to super was 2 weeks previous :)...
If not sure put a super on anyway...this weather it won't make much difference. If you find they aren't using the super then you went a little early but it matters little...they will use it when they are ready to.
Experiment and learn....
 #3743  by Chrisbarlow
 23 Jun 2019, 22:35
a rough guide for me is when 8 out of 11 frames are covered with bees and have stores/brood present. Then add more space super or brood box. If most of those frames are brood but not stores, Then I would still add more space and also feed, however I would put the extra box underneath the original box thus keeping the original box closer to the feed.