BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• White Lupin (agricultural) Cattle feed crop

• Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
 #8263  by stechad
 16 Jul 2020, 17:21
Murox wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 11:14
@stechad how has the white Lupin been for the bees, and honey ?
Not sure yet, the farmer walks the fields at around 7am and says that it is alive with bees but not I'm not sure if it is the honey bees, later in the day there are no bees of any kind on there, however considering the hive is still not to full strength they are filling the 2 supers that are on the hive also the weather hasn't been the kindest. Going to send samples away for analysis to confirm what they have been foraging.
 #8264  by stechad
 16 Jul 2020, 17:24
Steve 1972 wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 17:40
I thought my refractometor was playing up as most of my extracted runny spring honey is also reading in the low 16 %..i tested it with a jar from last year that was 18% and the refractometer still said 18% so it must be telling the truth.
The spring honey I took off a while ago was the same steve, just above 16% and the frames were only half capped.
 #8265  by Murox
 16 Jul 2020, 19:04
stechad wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 17:21
Not sure yet, the farmer walks the fields at around 7am and says that it is alive with bees but not I'm not sure if it is the honey bees, later in the day there are no bees of any kind on there, however considering the hive is still not to full strength they are filling the 2 supers that are on the hive also the weather hasn't been the kindest. Going to send samples away for analysis to confirm what they have been foraging.
Analysis will be interesting to know. Different plants produce nectar at different times of the day/temp etc.
 #8266  by stechad
 16 Jul 2020, 19:46
[/quote]

Analysis will be interesting to know. Different plants produce nectar at different times of the day/temp etc.
[/quote]

Yes I'm presuming it's an early morning nectar plant but I have no intention of getting up at 5 to drive over and walk around a field of flowers.
 #11262  by stechad
 18 Jun 2021, 17:50
Finally got my honey survey report and it seems that the bees did not work the dieta white lupin, however the lupin is grown with a triticale grass which did contribute to a large portion of the honey, so a win in the end.