BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Forage , what's flowering in your area?

• Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
 #10231  by Alfred
 14 Mar 2021, 18:03
Well Patrick that's got me wondering as I had a deadout last spring and salvaged around a litre of new honey from the brood frames.
It was the best I, or anyone else who tried it ,had ever tasted ,really light and creamy and a PITA to remove without an extractor
No OSR or fruit blossom at the time-the only thing around beforehand was shedloads of the local gorse??.
 #10232  by NigelP
 14 Mar 2021, 18:07
I must be a minority of one :D I just dug up the gorse bush in my garden as I'd never seen a bee on it. Truck pulled the roots mass out easy peasy.
A whole hedge full might be more appealing to them...
Love the saying "When gorse is in bloom kissing is in season". It flowers 12 months of the year.
 #10238  by Steve 1972
 14 Mar 2021, 20:10
NigelP wrote:
I must be a minority of one :D I just dug up the gorse bush in my garden as I'd never seen a bee on it. Truck pulled the roots mass out easy peasy.
A whole hedge full might be more appealing to them...
Love the saying "When gorse is in bloom kissing is in season". It flowers 12 months of the year.
Plant more Nigel.. unless you work sheep among them..lol..nothing worse than grabbing a ewe with a lump stuck in it's wool.. :o
 #10241  by AdamD
 15 Mar 2021, 10:50
NigelP wrote:
I must be a minority of one :D I just dug up the gorse bush in my garden as I'd never seen a bee on it.
Maybe it's a modern hybrid of some sort?
 #10242  by AdamD
 15 Mar 2021, 11:55
There's a wild plum that's started to flower in my garden over the past week - sometimes it has flowered in early Feb.
I have a photo on my 'phone of OSR flowering on 18th March last year, which was very early. This year the OSR is not nearly as well advanced.
 #10243  by Alfred
 15 Mar 2021, 13:37
Cherry is just off the starting blocks,daisy has a week head start.
Not exactly in blossom as such but I've just found a ziptie bag of compost at the back of the fridge There were around 50 crab Apple seeds I'd harvested last year and put them to stratify.
Most have sprouted so the windowsills will be crowded by the weekend.....

Temps briefly hit 17 c this morning and I'm stuck at home waiting for the garage to do the van mot :cry:
 #10312  by Chrisbarlow
 20 Mar 2021, 19:20
@Alfred, hope the van got sorted

Nice to see black thorn in flower