BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Forage , what's flowering in your area?

• Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
 #11375  by Beesnhoney
 01 Jul 2021, 17:52
Alfred wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 14:08
Try PrettyWildSeeds website
Not cheap but the stock is good quality
There is a bulk option which I find more economical.
There's a range of different mixes for different jobs(including a "beekeeper mix").
If you're serious then consider establishling the area first with yellow rattle as it will suppress grass growth and bear in mind it's long term commitment not instant gratification....
i get all my wild flower seeds from Wild Garden Seeds https://www.wildgardenseeds.co.uk
they have a huge range and postage is free!
 #11379  by MickBBKA
 02 Jul 2021, 00:44
After the worst May on record it looks like the June gap never happened yet. I have never ever seen the hedgerow so high and in so much flower. Although the bees never got any nectar whatsoever from the spring forage, once the hawthorn and cow parsley came into flower they have never looked back. Now the elder flower, clover and English Hogg weed is flowering after a couple of deluges last week I hope they have nectar in abundance. RBWH now in flower also.

Just to add, after moving half my colonies 20 mile inland I can only offer my apologies to my bees for keeping them facing the east winds of death for so many years in Teesside. Yields are almost double and they have missed the spring forage where most years probably 75% of my crop came from. We used to go out fishing in the kayak from early April, we haven't been out yet this year and its July. East winds lasting longer every year.

After being ready to put my head on the block 4 weeks ago I now have 1500lbs of honey and much more to come................. Teesside sucks for bees.
 #11395  by AdamD
 06 Jul 2021, 09:05
Elderflower is still flowering and blackberry is in full swing. A lot of the bees seem to be flying off in a SW direction - maybe towards some woods, so there could be some trees flowering there.
However the honey harvest will be very low this year for me as spring was hopeless as a whole foraging month was lost.
 #11397  by Patrick
 06 Jul 2021, 10:15
Snap. Always comes as a slight surprise just how short the UK foraging season is generally. Knock a few weeks out and the impact is really significant.

We also have blackberry in full bloom. Three weeks of settled weather would really help, please.. :)
 #11401  by MickBBKA
 06 Jul 2021, 23:02
Well its absolutely bounced down for the last 2 days here but can see the bramble is just starting to flower and the lime trees are also. 2 dry weeks would be a blessing now if possible but as its July I won't hold my breath.
 #11441  by NigelP
 13 Jul 2021, 17:35
Just come back from setting up some hive stands on the moors. Bell heather is well out, although I know from previous failed attempts it doesn't yield a lot of nectar, to my bees at least.
Ling is about 2 weeks away and lots of it despite it taking quite a bashing from the heather beetle.
Off to look at some new sites next week on moors I have never been on before. One is an 800 acre moor surrounded by forest on all sides.