BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Forage , what's flowering in your area?

• Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
 #10692  by Bobbysbees
 27 Apr 2021, 20:11
The cherry trees in the park are starting to show promise just in time for the crappy weather. Seeing a my laurel tree in full bloom just before the cold landed was nice . Was surprised to see the bees in it as someone told me bees dont forage near their own hives . I know they were mine cause I sat watching them for half an hour flitting in and out from the hive and back. Dandelions burst too and saw a good bit of pollen coming in most of it green but a few bright orange and yellow ones
 #11067  by AdamD
 04 Jun 2021, 10:50
There are two lots of OSR around me. The bees missed the earlier fields of it as the weather was too cold. The later-flowering stuff is still yielding.
Horse chestnut is in full flower.
We have a laburnum in the garden that usually flowers at the end of April. It is in flower now - a month later than most years.
My hay fever is just starting from grass pollen. It usually starts in early-mid May. So late again.
 #11068  by NigelP
 04 Jun 2021, 10:54
Yes, everything is late and not surprising given that cold April.
Our hawthorn and Chestnut are full bloom, although I noted on a trip down to Rutland earlier this week that from South Yorkshire downwards most of these have finished or are close to it.
 #11366  by Steve 1972
 30 Jun 2021, 15:33
After a bad start to the day it has now warmed up and the bees are piling pollen in of all colours..bright yellow/Orange/blue/cream and God knows from where but Pink..
 #11371  by Patrick
 01 Jul 2021, 11:16
Caroline wrote:The only pink pollen I know is from the plant Common Mallow.
Which is currently in flower around here and, pretty unusually for anything called Common, still is.