BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Forage , what's flowering in your area?

• Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
 #12211  by Alfred
 11 Nov 2021, 14:07
Went up to put the last two winter wraps on today thinking its getting a lot less Autumn
Exactly the same scenario Mick- dark orange pollen going in and swirling orientation like a lunchime in July
Topped out at 13 c and the ones that werent fetching pollen were at the watering hole.
The leadership does really need a good hard shake.
Isnt blackberry polen grey?
 #12214  by MickBBKA
 13 Nov 2021, 02:48
Well Patrick and Alfred I must say, whatever it is I am very happy to have it. One thing my bees suffer is lack of foraging days for pollen. This autumn has been the very first time I have ever seen such an abundance of pollen as we have had such low winds for the time of year and the bees are packing it in and I am not complaining.

For once ;) ;)
 #12215  by Patrick
 13 Nov 2021, 12:50
Wandered up and had a quick look at a nuc with fondant on and not only are they flying like midsummer but also wolfing through fondant. Can’t detect much difference in hefting others yet but makes me think they are still going strong.

Likewise I am quite happy, but I do like them to chill out for a while. They always seem to have come out of spring stronger for me.
 #12350  by MickBBKA
 06 Jan 2022, 02:25
Bees are bringing in 3 types of pollen when the suns out and its not too windy. They are bright yellow, light orange and greyish. No idea what TBH but do have large baskets at times.
Time to get the microscope out I think :) Several colonies are very much rearing brood, the crown boards are very warm..
 #12387  by Patrick
 17 Jan 2022, 15:48
Went up lunchtime to have a look at or bees on a lovely sunny afternoon - bringing in significant amounts of greeny- yellow pollen which must indeed be from Hazel. We have a small field of cobnuts up the road and they are in full bloom. Odd that I never notice them on it.

The current sound of tractors hedge trimming is a sad reminder that most of our hedgerows locally are flailed hard to exactly the same height every year. As trees and shrubs flower from buds produced the previous season, the potential for any useful blossom is annually trashed to little good purpose. Why we want to have a countryside so tidied it looks like the suburbs many of its residents profess to despise, defeats me.
 #12388  by Alfred
 17 Jan 2022, 18:08
Cut back to the quick because those same residents wouldn't hesitate to claim if the hedge could be blamed for impeding their vision and causing an accident

Going too bloody fast in the first place doesn't get considered of course.

But we weren't going too fast.

YES YOU WERE -or you could have stopped in time
duh
Humans !!!!
 #12485  by MickBBKA
 04 Mar 2022, 17:08
Well 1 day of sun earlier in the week and all the blackthorn and plum types have burst into flower. As usual its poured down and been 5c since so the bees won't see it for another year again. Thank God for pollen sub.
 #12501  by NigelP
 10 Mar 2022, 14:42
Or in this case whats not flowering in my local area. Compare Harrogate's crocuses with the ones in my garden trough. We are a week or two away yet. Only pollen is snowdrop and a few crocus in sheltered areas (not my garden!). Loads of hazel catkins but non are ripe yet...but when they are!