BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• rotting bee veils

• General Chat about Gardens & Flowers
General Chat about Gardens & Flowers
 #74  by bees4u
 22 Jul 2018, 22:38
Have any of you out there notice how bee veils don't seem to last 5 minutes now? :oops:
 #77  by AdamD
 23 Jul 2018, 08:53
You are correct that cheap ones don't last. However my BJ Sherriff one has lasted for several years and has been used heavily during that time. So unless someone is an occasional user it possibly more cost-effective to spend the money and get a good one. Although there is no way that anyone can tell from looking if the veil material is long-lasting or not!
 #93  by Patrick
 23 Jul 2018, 22:27
I must confess I am not the greatest for looking after my bee suit aside from regular cleaning, which I do think is very worthwhile.

Luckily, the bees always let me know when my veil has become damaged. Often quite enthusiastically.

Buy quality, buy once.
 #7043  by PeterDevon
 12 May 2020, 13:40
Sometimes the fabric used for the veil is not UV stabilised, sunlight or bright daylight rots the fabric. Always store in complete darkness and they will last much longer.
 #7048  by Steve 1972
 12 May 2020, 15:19
The veil on my Oz Armour suit is a plastic mesh type as apposed to the cheaper mesh fabric suits that i bought to start with..i dare say the Oz veil will last a life time unless it gets ripped on barbed wire or something else pointed..
 #7092  by Chrisbarlow
 13 May 2020, 13:19
I've had cheap ones in the past and they are very poor

Got a sheriff and an oz armour and no issues. Last much longer

As for cheap suits, I've got a lady who replaces the meshes with something decent