BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Jars Hard To Get Hold Of.

• General Chat about Gardens & Flowers
General Chat about Gardens & Flowers
 #13128  by NigelP
 10 Sep 2022, 12:59
About same as Alfred, £6 for blossom honey in 12oz. Heather I charge £6 for an 8oz jar. It's a premium honey .
 #13129  by AdamD
 12 Sep 2022, 08:47
Local retailers - about £5.50.
The price of jars looks like it will be going up quite a bit. However we all throw away glass which is then smashed up and melted with a lot of energy to get us our jars and bottles back again.
 #13132  by Alfred
 13 Sep 2022, 11:13
I have two regulars that have a dozen jars at a time and return them with labels still on so I know what they have had in and have no hesitation cleaning and reusing the glass.
In our area its a known fact that the recycle facility that we pay for involves carting it to the neighboring county and dumping it in a big hole in the ground so anything me and my customers can do to slightly mitigate that is a bonus.
 #13135  by JoJo36
 14 Sep 2022, 19:38
What a bloody waste of decent glass jars, I don't blame you??!!
I think the BBKA should have a re-think about re-using honey jar lids as once washed thoroughly they look as good as new!! Or maybe offer returning customers that if they re-use their jars and lids they get a small discount??!!:)
 #13136  by Alfred
 15 Sep 2022, 09:07
I think they have to play safe as people interpret what is acceptable by different standards.
A speck of rust never hurt anyone did it?
That said,it's still 1967 at the bbka - we are all going to get a rude awakening sometime soon and the sooner the better for them.
Crisis? What crisis?
 #13142  by MickBBKA
 17 Sep 2022, 05:19
The problem with the lids is not the sterilisation of them, its the fact that the seal becomes depressed and so may not be airtight. I reuse curry paste jars like Pataks for my home preserves ( not for sale ) over and over again. They are pop up lids and never seem to fail and only get thrown when they get rusty inside. Not poisoned myself yet ;)
 #13143  by MickBBKA
 17 Sep 2022, 05:23
Alfred wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 09:07
That said,it's still 1967 at the bbka - we are all going to get a rude awakening sometime soon and the sooner the better for them.
Crisis? What crisis?
I think my mam still has a tin of Carnation in the cupboard from 1967 :D