BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Temporary Synthetic Queen (QMP)

• **TRADERS** Please Post in here.... All other posts on the forum will be deleted without warning
**TRADERS** Please Post in here.... All other posts on the forum will be deleted without warning
 #2702  by Sipa
 12 Apr 2019, 10:57
We are pleased to be able to offer this cheap and effective method of temporarily maintaining a queenless colony or split as queenright when no replacement queen is immediately available.

• Temporary Synthetic Queen is a plastic tube with a matrix embedded within, containing a 5-component synthetic QMP.
•The Queen Mandibular Pheremone (QMP) regulates all worker activities within the colony.
•This is a safe and effective method to maintain a queenless colony as queenright for up to 3 weeks.

To see more and place orders : http://www.honeybeenucs.co.uk/beekeeping-equipment-for-sale.html
 #2703  by AdamD
 12 Apr 2019, 12:56
I have wondered where this could be obtained from.
Now I know!
 #2706  by NigelP
 12 Apr 2019, 16:20
Tried them a few years back to try and have queenless nucs for a week or so before introducing queen...still have some in the freezer.
They still drew queen cells.
 #2707  by Sipa
 12 Apr 2019, 16:31
NigelP wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 16:20
Tried them a few years back to try and have queenless nucs for a week or so before introducing queen...still have some in the freezer.
They still drew queen cells.
Formulations move on and improve.
 #2709  by NigelP
 12 Apr 2019, 21:21
I'm sure they do. My money is on same old same old.
Be good to hear if they now work from anyone with hands on experience.
 #2726  by AdamD
 15 Apr 2019, 08:53
I recall seeing the stuff used in a video of queenless packaged bees being imported from Europe (Italy I believe); with the queens being installed in the UK. I guess if the pheromone is enough to stop laying workers developing, then it has some benefit in this circumstance.

As an aside, I had a swarm colony given to me which was not to my liking so I split it to make three nucs. They all developed laying workers within about a week of becoming queenless, despite having brood and either trying to raise queencells themselves or having queencells inserted. Never seen such a propensity for workers to lay before. But that's honeybees for you!
 #2728  by Sipa
 15 Apr 2019, 10:34
QMP is used worldwide by commercial scale beekeepers to hold Q- colonies as Q+.... they just work if used correctly.

Failure is usually down to the beekeeper.