BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Anyone going to beetradex

• Please state your location & condition of the item for sale. Contact should be made through private messages.
Please state your location & condition of the item for sale. Contact should be made through private messages.
 #1858  by Chrisbarlow
 04 Feb 2019, 09:12
I have aspirations of attending, any one else going?
 #1887  by Chrisbarlow
 09 Feb 2019, 19:07
I guess not, but here is the link for their exhibitors

https://www.beetradex.co.uk/exhibitors/
 #2236  by Chrisbarlow
 06 Mar 2019, 21:56
roll on Saturday. I want some commercial frames, a BS honey 6 frame nuc and I am sure there will be one of two other bargains.
 #2237  by Patrick
 06 Mar 2019, 22:23
I know some people are not fans of short lugged Commercial frames but they don’t overly bother me and I do like the wider top bars at 1 1/16. With my bees they seem to stay cleaner.

Being a skinflint I tend to buy sale seconds National packs and these seem to always be DN4 with the narrower top bars. I have bought DN5’s with the wider National top bars but only on odd occasions. There isn’t a lot in it.
 #2238  by Chrisbarlow
 07 Mar 2019, 07:23
This last couple of years I've bought some langstroth kit and really like the short luggs, in fact im quite a fan of the box in general, so I thought I would try a commercial box or two as its a traditional British box. The short lugs are just a good bonus before I even start. I agree about dn4 and dn5. Unnecessary expense i reckon. However i bought my first packs of manley frames this year just to try. They certainly look different.
 #2239  by Patrick
 07 Mar 2019, 14:23
I have never used Manley frames either despite every book I had read giving them the thumbs up.

Can’t say have felt woefully disadvantaged as a result but then I only use narrow spacing to draw out super foundation then everything goes on to wide spacing ends and fewer frames per box, which most of the time works fine.

Manley side bars is presumably a one step option, how many a box?
 #2240  by NigelP
 07 Mar 2019, 16:34
Well I have binned 100+ Manley frames this year....(yours whenever you want to come and pick them up Mick!!!)
Used on their own as a sole frame i.e 10 Manley to a super.....they are useless. They swell in damp weather and you simply break them apart trying to lever them out. Used as a few frames within a super of SN4's they are fine.
I'm mainly getting rid because my steam uncapping knife is set to one size of frames and I would be constantly readjusting it if I had a variety of different sized super frames....
 #2241  by Chrisbarlow
 07 Mar 2019, 17:22
NigelP wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 16:34
Well I have binned 100+ Manley frames this year....(yours whenever you want to come and pick them up Mick!!!)
Is that Chris or Mick ? :-)