BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Online shop Sales for January

• Please state your location & condition of the item for sale. Contact should be made through private messages.
Please state your location & condition of the item for sale. Contact should be made through private messages.
 #1589  by Chrisbarlow
 27 Dec 2018, 15:40
Folks,

If you are not aware

Thornes have a January sale on, selling all sorts. frames & boxes etc...

Maisemores and Paynes both have poly sales on in January as well.
 #1590  by AdamD
 29 Dec 2018, 10:40
I noticed this item on Thornes website

https://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=8023

which appears to be a slab of insulation in a Hoffman frame. Surely, to do any good, the insulation would need to be in a DN1 type frame and then pressed against the wall of a hive rather than be separated from the wall of the hive by the hoffman spacing? Or have I read it wrong?
 #1591  by Jim Norfolk
 29 Dec 2018, 12:10
I read it the same way Adam and it clearly states remove a frame and place them either side of the reminaing frames. They would need to be touching the outside wall or air would just flow round them.

There is also a bit of confusion in that the other picture shows insulation outside the hive and they also talk of a rubber band going right round the hive. Maybe two products have got mixed up and proof readers have not spotted it.
 #5379  by AdamD
 04 Jan 2020, 10:46
Don't forget that winter sales for 2020 are now on. It can be a good time to buy rather than wait until the last minute in swarming season and find that your favorite supplier has run out of stock or can't deliver for a few days because they are so busy.
 #5380  by Chrisbarlow
 04 Jan 2020, 10:52
good point Adam, Thornes are on now. Maisemores starts (again) at the start of February for their poly stuff. Bee-equipment have their "mammoth" sale on, what ever that is.
 #5383  by AdamD
 04 Jan 2020, 11:02
If they could sell a mammoth, they could be onto a good thing!
 #5385  by Chrisbarlow
 04 Jan 2020, 11:14
AdamD wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 11:02
If they could sell a mammoth, they could be onto a good thing!
crikey, Yodel have enough issues delivering normal sized packages. Image them trying to deliver a mammoth!

The only plus would be that even though they never leave a delivery note, I would be able to see and hear the package at number 7
 #5590  by Chrisbarlow
 28 Jan 2020, 17:52
The thornes sale is nearly over

Maisemores poly sale starts in february
 #5595  by AdamD
 28 Jan 2020, 19:44
I noticed today that Maisies have some seconds on eBay.
 #5630  by DianeBees
 31 Jan 2020, 12:48
And don't forget the BBKA Spring Convention - 3,4 and 5th April. With the shopping on the Saturday for loads of bargains.
https://www.bbka.org.uk/bargains-at-the-spring-convention

(And you can come and say hello the trustees on the BBKA stand too)