BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Whole bee colonies for sale, READY FOR THE HONEY FLOW!

• Please Ensure all sale of bees are checked & sold within the correct guidelines, State the location, Type and package/nuc/hive
Please Ensure all sale of bees are checked & sold within the correct guidelines, State the location, Type and package/nuc/hive
 #7628  by Iffer1
 05 Jun 2020, 15:02
Hubby’s got a brand new bee allergy so sadly, we're selling our lovely bees. Let our loss be your gain! We’ve got calm, healthy and prolific Buckfast bees, ready for new homes.

We have the following for sale:-

2 Poly nucs** (£180 each)
Each with:
-A laying queen, marked blue for 2020
-6 national brood frames

2 National brood boxes* READY FOR THE HONEY FLOW (£300 each)
Each with:
-A laying queen, marked blue for 2020
-11 national brood frames, PLUS all the bees in the 2 supers above!
-floor with entrance reducer and veroa mesh
-a crown board
-roof with metal top

Message me for prices if you only want the frames of bees and not the equipment.

Socially distanced collection from Walthamstow, London able to be scheduled now.

*Brood box, floor and roof are black-stained cedar as shown in photo (supers and hive stand not included)
**These are green in colour, as shown and are useful to keep for future colonies
Last edited by Iffer1 on 06 Jun 2020, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
 #7637  by Steve 1972
 05 Jun 2020, 20:29
I think you need to drop the price a bit if you want them gone..-i am not being horrible and i hope in saying this but it is a gamble as to what strain of Queens you have and also it is hard work moving productive colonies at this time of the year..good luck with the sale either way..
 #7653  by Steve 1972
 07 Jun 2020, 11:51
If you buy F0 Queens that are island mated or Queens that have bee fertilized buy Instrumental insemination you basically know what you are going to get which should be gentle honey gathering big colonies..
We have lots of breeders through out the world and also in this country..i know of one in particular that will buy in F0 Queens and allow there daughters to be open mated by god knows what drones..this is where it becomes the gamble..if the local mongrel bees in the area are pussy cats you have a good chance of getting a gentle strain of F1 Queens mated by those mongrel drones..if the so called buckfast breeder has tetchy local mongrels the odds of getting gentle open mated Queens and colonies starts to diminish and from personal experience you end up with all sorts of good and bad traits..i have had nice big colonies that pile the honey in..i have had big colonies that are mental but pile the honey in..i have had small colonies that pile the honey in and i have had small colonies that barely survive...all from the same breeder..however this is a gamble i am willing to take because when you get a good open mated Queen it ends up paying for the dud Queens ten fold..hope that explains my take on getting colonies with unknown ancestry ..
Again good luck with the sale.. ;)
 #7660  by AdamD
 08 Jun 2020, 09:36
I have seen colonies advertised as Buckfast - but if you read the ad carefully, they have a Buckfast mother that the seller has, so I guess the offspring could go either way with regard to temperament.
 #7661  by NigelP
 08 Jun 2020, 09:46
If the original queen is an Island otr station mated Buckfast then she is full of Buckfast drone sperm. ALL her offspring can only be Buckfast. It's after this that the they start to become more "local" and problems can occur.
 #7665  by dukesos
 08 Jun 2020, 13:41
Hi there,
sorry to hear of your allergy in the family.

We sadly lost our colony recently and, together with some other interested friends, think that we could give all four of your colonies a good home.

We have a budget up to £100 per colony, however would you consider an offer of £500 for all four boxes, please?

Kind Regards,
Rodney

Rodney DeLuca
 #7671  by AdamD
 08 Jun 2020, 16:44
Please negotiate via the private message system rather than through the forum itself.
Thanks.

Note that if you send a private message, it stays in your outbox until it has been received. This means that you can modify it if you need to if it's not been sent. (A bit odd, but it's how the software works).
 #7674  by Steve 1972
 08 Jun 2020, 19:21
I received a PM from a member but i did not read it till a week later as i did not click on the little red number one..when i did i replied to the message..one month later i still have no reply back..it would be brilliant if the messaging and photo posting facilities where updated..and if it was i bet more folk would frequent the forum and add input..