BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• After a Swarm (North East)

• Please Ensure all sale of bees are checked & sold within the correct guidelines, State the location, Type and package/nuc/hive
Please Ensure all sale of bees are checked & sold within the correct guidelines, State the location, Type and package/nuc/hive
 #3504  by Japey Edge
 11 Jun 2019, 17:28
I've mentioned this to my local association but thought I'd stick it on here in the (very) slim chance anyone has excess bees or an unwanted swarm in the North East.
I have my second hive coming soon and I'd like to heed advice and have a minimum of two colonies on the go.
After pushing it with the equipment I've purchased I'll not get permission off the wife to buy another nuc/colony (or spend any more money altogether) so I'm just looking for something small and spare that can be built up.
If anyone has any ideas/suggestions I'd love to hear them :D
 #3507  by NigelP
 11 Jun 2019, 17:48
If they are still alive (haven't checked them for a while)...I have a micro swarm with laying queen. Yours if you want to collect. They will take some building up... these are local bees.
Could possibly bring to Wynyard on Sunday in a Nuc...returnable at some point.
 #3510  by Japey Edge
 11 Jun 2019, 20:30
That would be great Nigel thanks :-D

I'm in Newcastle on Sunday but I can collect - depending on when is best for you. When will you know if they're still alive?
 #3511  by NigelP
 11 Jun 2019, 21:18
If we get a break in the rain probably tomorrow. They will be in a wooden home made nuc....be warned there is barely half a frame of bees. I am feeding but they are reluctant to leave their new brood...what little there is. I'll let you know.
 #3516  by Japey Edge
 12 Jun 2019, 09:52
Thanks Nigel :-)

I'm currently trying to find some kingspan/celotex/insulation board to make some dummy boards to create a small cosy environment in my new poly hives.