BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Bees on Ebay

• Please Ensure all sale of bees are checked & sold within the correct guidelines, State the location, Type and package/nuc/hive
Please Ensure all sale of bees are checked & sold within the correct guidelines, State the location, Type and package/nuc/hive
 #2525  by AdamD
 30 Mar 2019, 08:48
I have noticed recently that there have been colonies of bees for sale on eBay. I thought that this was not allowed; the adverts have been removed by eBay themselves in the past. Is there a different policy on livestock?
 #2526  by DianeBees
 30 Mar 2019, 08:57
Can I buy a pet on eBay?
No. Although you can buy some animal and wildlife products on eBay, pets and other live animals are not allowed to be listed for sale on our site.
 #2527  by NigelP
 30 Mar 2019, 09:32
DianeBees wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 08:57
Can I buy a pet on eBay?
No. Although you can buy some animal and wildlife products on eBay, pets and other live animals are not allowed to be listed for sale on our site.
Not quite true Diana. Just look up tropical fish on ebay you will find loads for sale. Almost temps me to have a tropical aquarium...those clown loach look lovely.
 #2528  by DianeBees
 30 Mar 2019, 09:46
NigelP wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 09:32

Not quite true Diana. Just look up tropical fish on ebay you will find loads for sale. Almost temps me to have a tropical aquarium...those clown loach look lovely.

Maybe they're there until they get reported...?

There's a tropical fish and coral place near us apparently. I really shouldn't go in, as although I have always fancied a tank full of coral, I have enough hobbies.
 #2530  by NigelP
 30 Mar 2019, 14:39
Nope, you are allowed to sell tropical fish (and cold water) on e-bay. Always have been.
Bees....well I'm not sure about them.
 #2569  by Chrisbarlow
 31 Mar 2019, 21:49
A quick search and a couple of people are selling 5/6 frames nucs at the moment
 #2713  by Chrisbarlow
 13 Apr 2019, 21:05
I keep checking this as it peeked my interest, still a couple of sellers on there.
 #10988  by Bobbysbees
 23 May 2021, 19:48
I know this is an older thread but as it happens I bought my first nuc from a gent on ebay. I personally cant see an issue with it.
I had to go and pick them up and he had me do a quick inspection on one of his hives just to show I had a reasonable idea what I was doing before he would part with them.( I know this isnt always the case)
Lets face it you can buy a nuc of bees by mail order from a few places like Paynes and Bee Equipment (which are undoubtedly imports from Italy) and you dont really have any clue of temperament or original origin of the bees in question.
Lets face facts most of us are going to have to buy a nuc at some point. When you get right down to it unless you know the individual you are purchasing them from on a personal level there is no real guarantee of what your getting.
 #10989  by Patrick
 23 May 2021, 23:39
It’s not the marketing format that is the issue, it’s the seller and their product. If you got a good deal from someone selling a decent product, what not to like?

The advantage of a known commercial outlet / breeder / local seller is presumably they care about their reputation and won’t sell you rubbish. It’s all very well saying buyer beware, but a newbie buying bees unseen from person unknown is having to take a bit of a punt.

There has been a debate locally on ethics and issue of some folk selling on laying hived swarms as nucs. I have never sold a swarm personally but what do others think? Much is made of disease risk but my main concern would probably be the unknown age of the queen tbh.
 #10990  by MickBBKA
 24 May 2021, 03:30
You could just buy one of the 1,000 Buckfast strains available for sale ;)