BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Free to good home .

• Please Ensure all sale of bees are checked & sold within the correct guidelines, State the location, Type and package/nuc/hive
Please Ensure all sale of bees are checked & sold within the correct guidelines, State the location, Type and package/nuc/hive
 #11184  by Bobbysbees
 14 Jun 2021, 15:13
Hive comprising of,
2x national brood box (complete with all frames and follower board)
1x varroa mesh floor
1x Crown board
1x queen excluder
1x large 6 l English bee feeder
1x entrance reducer
1x roof
It is currently in use and if desired the bees may bee included if not please let me know.
They are Buckfast type open mated.
Pm me for details
 #11187  by Alfred
 14 Jun 2021, 17:43
Even in the bleakest January that lot would go for 150 minimum on the big online tat bazaar???
 #11194  by Steve 1972
 14 Jun 2021, 21:03
Why..? .. do you need some HELP ..post a problem and it may be fixed..
 #11195  by Bobbysbees
 14 Jun 2021, 21:25
The hive has just gone apocalyptic it the first hive as you walk in my apiary and before you get past them they are one you like flies on $h!?. Basically they have to go. the queens 3 year old and still laying up a storm but their temperament is just not conducive to my local area. like even t he Grand kids wont visit anymore.... so the hive goes. I have a shed full of gear already and a couple of boxes is neither here nor there.
Oh there is a brand new 3 frame extractor going as well but that was Amazons mistake they sent me 2 lol
All though I wouldn't say no to a donation to help smooth over the transaction.
I dont want to rob anyone and least of all palm off a lunatic hive on a beginner. Been there as I got them lol
 #11197  by Steve 1972
 14 Jun 2021, 22:49
All the problems are fixable without giving your equipment away..
 #11199  by JoJo36
 15 Jun 2021, 07:03
Kill the queen??!!
Probably obvious but have you tried to re-queen? I've heard many people saying they have done this and the bees totally 'settle down' and accept new queen?!
What about a split and move them somewhere else at same time, two smaller colonies with 2 nice queens?
If all else fails you could close up take them somewhere and shake them all out keeping your equipment?!
 #11202  by NigelP
 15 Jun 2021, 10:31
Thoughts,.
1. Move hive elsewhere in garden and let flyers find new homes in your calmer hives. This will/should stop the aggression as the flyers are the aggressive bees.

2. After 24 hours go through the hive where you will find they are now like pussy cats as mainly nurse bees left here.
You should be able to find queen where you now have several options. Dispatch the old girl or think about caging her inside the hive for a week or so; so they have no chance of raising queen cells later. Then you could then dispatch queen and unite the bees with another hive.

3. Seriously ask ask around for a second apiary site.

4. Take long drive to North Yorkshire and place hive in my "bad girl" apiary site.
 #11203  by Bobbysbees
 15 Jun 2021, 11:36
Thats pretty much the the whole thing Alfred.
I had tried taking a split off them with the nurse bees and a couple of queen cells all that happened was the nurse bees tore down the queen cells and I know for a fact the queen was left with the flying bees, with a super on top to make them feel they had plenty of space.
Tried one frame of eggs with the split and they raised a couple of QC just to tear them down again.
They hadn't gone to laying worker so I thought ok lets reunite them with them original hive
and some more additional space as the other super had been drawn and was half full.
If o knew for sure I could get a queen tomorrow I would have a crack at requeening them.
Other than that I guess I could try moving them and hope the flyers don't cause too much havoc finding a new hive
But I don't want my other 2 becoming defensive cause a bunch of strangers are knocking on the door.
Would it be worth dispatching the queen and running them queenless till the end of the season as o have heard this can cause other problems such as robbing once the numbers dwindle ?
 #11209  by Alfred
 15 Jun 2021, 16:54
Code: Select all
https://www.bshoneybees.co.uk 
Sameday service and Ive had two queens from them previously,both very nice.
Ive had two others from a large online catalogue emporium that were torn apart but thats a different story....

Regardless of the hive status,some people will blame you for ANY bee in their garden so maybe time for an out-apiary before giving up altogether