BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• wanted - shaker box

• Please Ensure all sale of bees are checked & sold within the correct guidelines, State the location, Type and package/nuc/hive
Please Ensure all sale of bees are checked & sold within the correct guidelines, State the location, Type and package/nuc/hive
 #8684  by Chrisbarlow
 30 Aug 2020, 17:04
Does any one know where I can get a shaker box from?

Aluminum funnel style as opposed to wooden
 #8685  by NigelP
 30 Aug 2020, 19:08

Best I can find is from the states....
https://brookfieldfarmhoney.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/queen-rearing-%E2%80%93-a-sequence-of-events-%E2%80%93-part-1-shaking-bees/blog1shakerboxff/
 #8687  by Chrisbarlow
 30 Aug 2020, 21:36
Cheers Nigel.

I think I'll be making my own at this rate.

For anyone interested,, this is a description on useage ... https://www.beesource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-196757.html
 #9582  by Little John
 10 Dec 2020, 22:44
Chris - just been having a root around the forum ...

This 'shaker box' - do you want it for finding an elusive queen, or as a funnel to shake bees into a small opening without dumping dozens of 'em on the floor in the process ?

I could post photos of my Marburg Box or of a funnel I made - or both - if it would help.
'best
LJ
 #9600  by AdamD
 15 Dec 2020, 08:55
I only shake bees when making up nucs or mini-nucs. A cardboard box is good enough for me; I do tape the flaps down inside the bottom of the box to ensure bees don't get trapped in there. The older flying bees leave quite quickly (a kick of the box get them moving) leaving predominantly younger bees behind.
 #9614  by Chrisbarlow
 20 Dec 2020, 16:58
Little John wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 22:44
Chris - just been having a root around the forum ...

This 'shaker box' - do you want it for finding an elusive queen, or as a funnel to shake bees into a small opening without dumping dozens of 'em on the floor in the process ?

I could post photos of my Marburg Box or of a funnel I made - or both - if it would help.
'best
LJ
If you would please

I wanted one for quickly accessing working bees to make up nucs and mating boxes to negate the requirement to find queens and make sure there wasn't a 2nd queens wandering around.

I eventually converted an old brood box by duct talking a queen excluder to it.