BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• D'Ohh - Substitute hive tools

• share the funny, scary & the completely stupid things you've seen & heard
share the funny, scary & the completely stupid things you've seen & heard
 #7888  by AndrewLD
 22 Jun 2020, 13:00
So Mr organised loads up the car to go to the out apiary.................
Get's there - no hive tool :oops: How dumb is that.
Never mind - always keep a spare small hive tool in tool bucket especially for this contingency :D
Nope - not in bucket :o
What was there and just had to serve - was a pair of secateurs from last swarm collection. Not as good, definitely not as good.....
 #7890  by AdamD
 22 Jun 2020, 13:16
A blunt wood chisel is a decent alternative to a hive tool. (My chisels are ALL blunt by the way).

I've forgotten matches ... So I'm no better. If you light a piece of paper with the car cigarette lighter and get it to the smoker quickly, you can eventually get it going after a few attempts.
 #7893  by Patrick
 22 Jun 2020, 15:39
Having tried using a screwdriver and a penknife at a push, it just makes you appreciate how fit for purpose hive tools are. Apparently the best substitute for a hive tool is .... yet another hive tool! They are becoming like spare reading glasses around here.

I will also at some stage put that down too. And inevitably lose it.

I had to borrow my neighbours lad’s metal detector to find the last one :roll: I found it next to some of my marbles, which I seem to also be losing.
 #7896  by NigelP
 22 Jun 2020, 18:07
It's when you arrive at an out out apiary and say..."where the Eff is my bee suit" that you really need to worry..... :shock:
You can buy the "J" type tools for about £4 each including postage from fleabay. I bought in 10 a few years ago ....and would you believe it haven't lost a single once since.....I always keep spare gloves/spare hive tools/spare smoker fuel and spare Snelgrove boards in truck. Boy are the boards getting an outing this season.
 #7904  by Steve 1972
 22 Jun 2020, 22:24
I have just about two of everything even three of some things. i always loose my hive tool i find it eventually most often a week later..(Garret ACE 300 metal detector ) :mrgreen: ..what i do need is a second of is a refractometer one for the out apiary and one for the kitchen...
 #7905  by Steve 1972
 22 Jun 2020, 22:38
I have just about two of everything even three of some things. i always loose my hive tool i find it eventually most often a week later..(Garret ACE 300 metal detector ) :mrgreen: ..what i do need is a second of is a refractometer one for the out apiary and one for the kitchen...
 #7921  by Murox
 24 Jun 2020, 10:27
I always have strong magnets strategically placed in/on my bee suit/jacket and smoker - have never lost a hive tool yet - a little self discipline is required of course as well.