BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Checking dimensions of second hand kit

• share the funny, scary & the completely stupid things you've seen & heard
share the funny, scary & the completely stupid things you've seen & heard
 #3709  by Patrick
 22 Jun 2019, 21:47
So having put a recently bought commercially produced second hand super on a hive with extracted combs, I inspected today and found loads of dead bees outside the front of the hive. Only hive in apiary with issue. But why? Poisoning? Starvation after extraction? What?

All looked normal from the front then went to lift off supers and noticed at the back there was a gap caused by the new- to - me super. Robber bees had obviously found it and caused mayhem in the poor foraging weather last week, totally avoidable beekeeper error.

The super width was normal but the other dimension was slightly less than National. Not clear which type of hive it was intended for. Lesson next time is check with tape measure before using second hand kit. Looks like it will now only be used as a feeder surround eke...
 #3742  by Chrisbarlow
 23 Jun 2019, 22:29
a similar thing happened to me when I first started in 2010. I bought 10boxes off ebay , they were all advertised as nationals but they were 47cm squared. They even had custom frames. Its amazing how an extra 1cm in each direction made everything else not fit!
 #3746  by Chrisbarlow
 23 Jun 2019, 22:43
Patrick wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 22:39
Strewth Chris 10 boxes - now that is annoying!!

it certainly was. It took me a couple of years to weed the boxes out of my apiaries at the time and replace them with the correct kit. I think it took longer to get all the frames out of circulation.
 #5735  by Justabeekeeper
 18 Feb 2020, 00:23
I bought a lot of boxes from a beekeeper that was retiring.
Cleaned them all and made sure they were good to use.
First time I tried to use one of the boxes I found out they were top bee space, mine are all bottom bee space.
Easy to fix but not in the apiary and not when it's needed on a hive.
 #5765  by Chrisbarlow
 23 Feb 2020, 11:20
I've always fancied trying top bee space nationals. This is the reason why I think langstroths are a superior design
Last edited by Chrisbarlow on 23 Feb 2020, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
 #5769  by Patrick
 23 Feb 2020, 14:34
When I started it was another of those beekeeping factional issues, top space versus bottom space and the merits and demerits often (to me) blown way out of proportion.

I have always had bottom space equipment and not felt I the least disadvantaged by it tbh. I am sure likewise top space is great too. A mix of both might be a royal pain in the proverbial however.

I certainly totally get the need for standardisation as the size of ones operation increases - trouble is I also just can’t help myself trying different things.

It’s like that old saying - Q. what do you need to keep bees? A. A large shed. :D
 #5772  by Chrisbarlow
 23 Feb 2020, 16:26
Patrick wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 14:34
trouble is I also just can’t help myself trying different things.

It’s like that old saying - Q. what do you need to keep bees? A. A large shed. :D
I can relate the that remark