BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Latest stupid mess up

• share the funny, scary & the completely stupid things you've seen & heard
share the funny, scary & the completely stupid things you've seen & heard
 #929  by Patrick
 02 Oct 2018, 22:35
Had some reasonable wide spaced frames on unwired foundation at summer extraction and thought would keep back to do some cut comb. No space in freezer so wrapped in cling film to deter wasps etc and put aside for what became several weeks due to non beekeeping issues.

Noticed adult wax moth on window and wondered where it had come from... yup, lovely capped fat frames had played host to wax moth larva which had obviously been as eggs on woodwork in hive then reared and chewed through cling film which had helped keep lovely and warm and written off combs and honey for human consumption. No, those combs had not been bred in at anytime.

This has been a generally problematic year for waxmoths around here and they have taken hold and gone through their life cycles at double quick pace.
 #935  by DianeBees
 03 Oct 2018, 11:44
Gutting!
I've put the cut comb I've got into the freezer. I will be in trouble at some point for this as there's less room for real food.

I've put debris from an inspection board in a tub before and kept it a while and then took it to one of our club evenings. People could then see what happens in the debris as there were little caterpillars mooching about. They pupate and turn into little moths eventually.