BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• exchanging hives

• share the funny, scary & the completely stupid things you've seen & heard
share the funny, scary & the completely stupid things you've seen & heard
 #462  by steve c
 30 Aug 2018, 17:23
One or two of my hives are past their best, would it be alright to change the old wooden hives for poly-hives at this time of year? Moving the brood frames and the super frames to the new hive, obviously keeping the hive in the same place. Any advice please? Many thanks.
 #466  by Jim Norfolk
 31 Aug 2018, 08:48
Sounds fine to me but I can't comment on the best make of plastic hive. That could be a whole new topic.

All I will say is that while wood looks better, is more durable and lasts longer, it can't beat plastic on cost. The other advantage of poly hives is their insulation.
 #471  by AdamD
 31 Aug 2018, 19:12
Bees overwinter well in polyhives. Go for it!
 #474  by steve c
 01 Sep 2018, 14:33
Thanks for the info. I have one polly hive at the moment and the bees have settled in well, the hives are located high up on our farm 650ft with a view of the sea on three sides so it is quite exposed. I think its time to invest in another couple
of these hives.
 #496  by DianeBees
 03 Sep 2018, 10:54
Just make sure they are really well strapped down and have huge rocks on the top to stop them blowing away!

I've got a polyhive currently in the shed and have been planning to swap a hive into it but haven't yet.
I've got a Abelo one already swapped but this other is a maisemore or a paynes. Can't remember now!

I love the Abelo ones as they come ready painted!