BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Catching a Swarm by mistake!

• share the funny, scary & the completely stupid things you've seen & heard
share the funny, scary & the completely stupid things you've seen & heard
 #4439  by Caroline
 10 Aug 2019, 11:09
Nigel, thanks for that information, great explanation. I hadn't considered the same patch of forage.
 #4463  by Darrin
 11 Aug 2019, 23:25
Thanks Nigel, that is interesting but I'm still being a bit thick here.

Is the suggestion to incrementally turn the hive entrance through a 90 degree turn - where they are currently located in the garage? If so, what would be the point as they'd eventually learn their entrance is just around the corner but they'd still be located where I don't want them to be.

So, should I move them up to the apiary at night and place the hive at a 90 degree turn to what it was when it was in the garage? This doesn't seem to make sense to me either as the entire hive has moved 50 feet - so what would the difference be in turning it?

I do get the importance of them working on a section of forage and having a stronger memory to return to the garage, then once the forage is done, they might be easier to relocate - but at what point and where should I turn the entrance?

Sorry to bang on - but it's interesting and I'd like to know for the future, they will be off down the road to my mates soon, so it won't apply this time. But it might another day.

Thanks,

Darrin.
 #4469  by NigelP
 12 Aug 2019, 12:47
Darrin no need to rotate entrance. I just used it as an example of how bees re-orientated even when not moved.
Just move your bees and have entrance facing any direction you want.
 #4471  by AdamD
 12 Aug 2019, 13:34
The visual memory of the Garage is going to be a strong one, so maybe moving them a fair distance away is required. 15 miles will definitely do it! (Although doesn't have to be quite that far! ). After 3 weeks or so, they could come back - unless your friend has his/her heart set on keeping them!