BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Diy Oops Encouners when making/putting together Bee eqipment.

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #7371  by Steve 1972
 24 May 2020, 20:06
Well i put a load of frames together a few days ago while waiting for the supers to be delivered to house them..checkerboard style mixed with drawn extracted super foundation..
I was putting the un wired foundation in today and through listening to the radio and day dreaming i managed to put the odd side bar the wrong way around.. :oops: ..i did the same last year while stopping in a caravan lambing ..
Has anyone else managed this or is me unique.. :D
 #7379  by Japey Edge
 25 May 2020, 08:39
I haven't put any on the wrong way round Steve but we were assembling frames yesterday and have come to the conclusion that a certain supplier sells horrendous quality frames that had to be twisted and forced square. The side bars sat wonky - about 80-85 degree angle from the top bars. Also had to chisel bits off the top strip that holds the wires in place. Bottom bars too thick for the notch in side bars causing splits. Argh!

Safe to say I won't be returning to this supplier :x
 #7396  by AdamD
 26 May 2020, 09:08
Steve 1972 wrote:
24 May 2020, 20:06

Has anyone else managed this or is me unique.. :D
I expect that we have all made more mistakes than we care to mention!

(Langstroth frames don't have the grove in the side bars for the foundation to slide down - so you could just take a few mm off the foundation with a sharp knife and fit it anyway - and not worry too much about the hoffman bits being the wrong way round).