BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Old hive with woodworm and/or wax moths

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #7260  by Snowman
 21 May 2020, 16:48
So my Dad found his old hive in the barn today and it seems to have been infested with wood worms and potentially wax moths. I am not sure if the pests are still in the wood as the hive has been left alone for 7 years.

Is there any way that I could treat the wood to ensure that both the worms and moths are removed?
Should I steer away from using this hive altogether?

I saw somewhere that you can put wood in a freezer for weeks which kills woodworm, not sure if this is true though.
Might painting the outside of the hive help, or maybe scorching and scraping?

Woodworm holes/sawdust look quite fresh but it also hasn't been moves for years. Image

Weird scrapes Image

Thanks for your help
 #7264  by NigelP
 21 May 2020, 18:58
Snowman, welcome mo the forum. What you have pictured is not a hive, it's a super that would go on top of a brood box (a larger sized box).
Personal thoughts are chop up for firewood, as supers are quite cheap and the risks of using compromised materila may not be worth it.
Would also advice joining your local BBKA association as much more local advice will be forthcoming.
 #7267  by Snowman
 21 May 2020, 19:44
NigelP wrote:
21 May 2020, 18:58
Snowman, welcome mo the forum. What you have pictured is not a hive, it's a super that would go on top of a brood box (a larger sized box).
Personal thoughts are chop up for firewood, as supers are quite cheap and the risks of using compromised materila may not be worth it.
Would also advice joining your local BBKA association as much more local advice will be forthcoming.
Thanks for your reply,
I also have found the rest of the hive (brood box,Queen excluder,lid and second super) but didn't feel the need to add in other unnecessary photos.

Thanks for the advice, it's a shame I would have like to save £300 on a second hive, but better not risk it.
 #7269  by NigelP
 21 May 2020, 19:50
[quote=Snowman post_id=7267 time=1590086677 user_id=7918

Thanks for the advice, it's a shame I would have like to save £300 on a second hive, but better not risk it.
[/quote]

Might be worth you looking at Poly hives, they come in at around £130 per hive. It's all I use these days.
 #7273  by Japey Edge
 21 May 2020, 21:35
I second Nigel's comment on poly hives. I have three Abelo poly hives on the go now and they're great.

Saying that, I haven't used timber hives so I would be biased. I am sure you can get one for around the same price as a poly though can't you?
 #7291  by Steve 1972
 22 May 2020, 10:29
Jazz you can get ceder hives cheaper than poly..i have three here that i do not use..i should sell them really but you can bet your bottom dollar that if i sell them i will end up needing them.. :D
 #7292  by Snowman
 22 May 2020, 10:39
Steve 1972 wrote:
22 May 2020, 10:29
Jazz you can get ceder hives cheaper than poly..i have three here that i do not use..i should sell them really but you can bet your bottom dollar that if i sell them i will end up needing them.. :D
Where can I get a cedar hive cheaper than poly? Everywhere I've looked they've been much more expensive
 #7299  by AndrewLD
 22 May 2020, 12:18
Before Abelo take over the world :D
You can get a Thorne National Budget hive in English cedar complete with frames and foundation for £160 delivered compared with Abelo Poly equivalent(?) for £110 (but no frames or foundation or excluder) plus delivery £9.99.

So if you just want the hive only Abelo is cheaper but if you need frames and foundation and an excluder...........

Treating a hive for wax moth - blowlamp on the wooden parts , discard frames.
Treating for woodworm - not aware of any treatment for woodworm that will not harm bees. Suggest Nigel's idea of firewood is best option.