BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Extractor From Manual To Motorized.

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #7109  by Steve 1972
 13 May 2020, 16:17
Hopefully Stechad you can understand this..
Firstly the manual handle and little gear box was removed from the extractor..the motor i have used is from a 24v mobility scooter given to me from my Aunt..i did buy a second one for a spare on ebay which cost me £35..
Here is the motor before and after a small metal rod was made to fit the motor and into the extractor cage mount..

The name and serial numbers..

The 12v speedcontroler which cost around £4 and the six pin forward and reverse switch..£5

Here it is on a plate that was made and drilled to mount and bolt the motor to the top of the extractor..my friend has a milling machine and lathe which he made the mounting plate and small bar to fit the extractor cage..

And the 12v leisure battery power supply..i would have opted for a 12v transformer of some kind but i have three spare car batteries and two leisure batteries so more than enough battery life for a few years yet..

Image..

The speed controller is marked inside + and - for the power in and out supply..for the six pin forward and reverse switch i found plenty of information on you tube to show how it is wired..i could draw a diagram if needed..

Here it is working..
Cheers
Steve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N71muCx8siw
Last edited by Steve 1972 on 13 May 2020, 16:45, edited 3 times in total.
 #7112  by stechad
 13 May 2020, 16:31
Sorry Steve,
was t'internet, refreshed the page then the pic came thru.
Is that the output shaft before any adaptions?
 #7114  by Steve 1972
 13 May 2020, 16:50
stechad wrote:
Sorry Steve,
The output shaft on the extractor is untouched,,the shaft that was made to fit the motor and extractor mount is glued into the motor and i might damage it trying to get it out..
 #7116  by stechad
 13 May 2020, 16:54
Steve 1972 wrote:
13 May 2020, 16:50
stechad wrote:
Sorry Steve,
The output shaft on the extractor is untouched,,the shaft that was made to fit the motor and extractor mount is glued into the motor and i might damage it trying to get it out..
I can see what you have done now, there was only 1 photo when I first looked at the post. (did you edit it, didn't know you could do that)
 #7121  by Steve 1972
 13 May 2020, 17:27
Steve 1972 wrote:
13 May 2020, 17:25
Japey Edge wrote:
13 May 2020, 16:36
As I have the same extractor as you Steve, and using my cordless drill was interesting, I am all up for making this modification.
You are better of changing from the drill..it did not work for me and you are still tied up holding the drill..with the motor added you are hands free to extract more frame while it is spinning.

Here is a better picture of the base i made with the castors added..the extra height allows me to easily place a 10L bucket under the gate valve where as before i had to lift the full thing onto a wooden box..a 25L still will not fit but a few 3in chocks under the castors will do the trick..