BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Cleaning polycarbonate crown boards

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #6449  by AdamD
 15 Apr 2020, 08:40
What's the best way of cleaning plastic crown board or the flimsy bits that act as an "inner cover" in polynucs?
Scraping with a hive tool can scratch them easily and pouring on boiling water to melt the wax can cause them to buckle. (Yes, done that!).
 #6453  by NigelP
 15 Apr 2020, 08:49
Does scratching by scraping them clean really matter? That is what I do with the nucs and paynes flimsy polycarbonate hive boards. They look a bit dirty and scruffy but still fully functional and you can still see through them....albeit not with the clarity of a new board.
 #6458  by Cable_Fairy
 15 Apr 2020, 09:57
I have tried washing soda and bleach that I clean my tools with, some anti static perplex cleaner, all to no avail, however my thumb nail seems to work a bit better.
 #6459  by nealh
 15 Apr 2020, 09:58
Lay then in a solution of bleach/soda crystals in a shallow seed/potting tray to allow wax or prop to soften, leave for a day or two & use a plastic scraper to remove debris.
Freezing might be better to scrape off when wax /prop becomes a bit more brittle.
 #6463  by Cable_Fairy
 15 Apr 2020, 12:02
A ships engineer once told me that he only had two things in his tool box and could fix anything. If it moved and should not...…. use duct tape, if it should move and does not …….. use WD40. I sprayed one side of the quilt with said liquid and left for ten minutes and it came off with a paper towel, the other side I used the residue on the paper and it just rubbed away quite easily.
Job sorted back to the sun lounger.
 #6464  by Patrick
 15 Apr 2020, 12:52
Nice one. I also have mating nuc inner covers that are rather wobbly after previous inadvisable use of hot water.

Never tried WD40 but will. I did find last year that washing powder actually worked better than plain washing soda on plastic ends. Actually fizzed.
 #6467  by Steve 1972
 15 Apr 2020, 16:45
I just give the ones I made a quick scrape with the hive tool ..not scratched any yet ..it could be down to it being good quality shatter proof stuff i got from a friend who works in demolition from a school that was being knocked down.
 #6468  by Chrisbarlow
 15 Apr 2020, 18:00
Cable_Fairy wrote:
A ships engineer once told me that he only had two things in his tool box and could fix anything. If it moved and should not...…. use duct tape, if it should move and does not …….. use WD40. I sprayed one side of the quilt with said liquid and left for ten minutes and it came off with a paper towel, the other side I used the residue on the paper and it just rubbed away quite easily.
I'm gonna try that
 #6477  by Cable_Fairy
 15 Apr 2020, 22:49
Chrisbarlow wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 18:00
Cable_Fairy wrote:
I'm gonna try that
I hope you get the same results I did, let us all know one way or the other.