BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Beekeeping Tools That Work And Those We Should Put In The Bin

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #11460  by NigelP
 15 Jul 2021, 15:53
I thought it was about time that we could start a thread letting people know what beekeeping tools work for us and which ones need putting in the bin.

I was so impressed with this frame cleaner that I thought I'd share it. Makes cleaning the wax out of the grooves out on the side of frames an absolute doddle.

I've used similar shaped frame cleaners before but they have all had wooden handles which fall off the tool after short period of use. So was dead chuffed to find a one pieces stainless steel job for less than £6 including postage.
If you want one just input 324471849235 into the ebay search bar and you will find it. Okay it comes from China (at that price what do you expect) and it will take a week or two get delivered....

I'm sure many of you will have tools that are invaluable to your beekeeping enjoyment so please share them with us.
 #11462  by Alfred
 15 Jul 2021, 19:34
Keepers:
10 litre adblue containers :?:
Thourorly washed out
Store syrup,store soda solution,disinfectant solution,water,etc
Good balance of quantity vs weight.
Cut the tops off,thread some baler twine across some holes and hang on the fencepost (so animals cant drink from it) behind each hive as a glove and hive tool soda bath.
Cut other directons and proportions for endless possibilities
Blowtorch-buy the electronic ignition head for £4 on ebay.Gas works oit to a quid a can and one will last a season
Use for smoker lighting and sterilising.
I've adaptwd mine for the gas-vap too.
(Nigel will have binned his gas-vap already so this doesn't apply to him ;) )
Poundshop-two trigger sprays for a quid -one behind each hive for disinfectant.

Bin fodder.
Nigels Gas-vap but not mine.
Glossy beekeeping catalogues- the primary cause of mispent money.
Bought that t shirt :oops:
Any wonder-potion .
Bee gyms, :D
Flow hives :D
Those queen catchers that look like bulldog clips(unless you're intentionally culling..) :shock:
Foundation wiring tools(unless you really have too much time on your hands)
 #11469  by NigelP
 16 Jul 2021, 10:00
Alfred wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 19:34

I've adaptwd mine for the gas-vap too.
(Nigel will have binned his gas-vap already so this doesn't apply to him ;) )
Poundshop-two trigger sprays for a quid -one behind each hive for disinfectant.
Nope, still carry it around for emergency use only, far too unsafe for anything else. I'm still surprised there hasn't been major accident reported from using them.

Mick, what have you got against wired brood frames?
 #11470  by AdamD
 16 Jul 2021, 12:36
I have a Thornes frame scraper which I got in a winter sale; it still has it's handle; the shape of the tip is not special though. A cut down either side of the groove with a Stanley knife first makes it work OK.

Mick, leather gloves are fine - for pruning the roses or pulling out brambles.

I have a bee brush (somewhere) - used it just once or twice.
 #11476  by MickBBKA
 18 Jul 2021, 02:41
Hi Nigel, I have given up trying to find a foundation supplier that makes the foundation thick enough to hide the wire. If there is any exposed wire my bees just chew the wax away at least half an inch each side trying to remove the foreign object and thus render the comb useless. I have used my own home made foundation in the same colonies and they draw it out perfect every time. Issue is I just can't make enough foundation with a mould to meet my needs but the quality of mine is far superior to any I have ever bought in terms of how the bees use it.
 #11486  by NigelP
 19 Jul 2021, 08:57
MickBBKA wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 02:41
Hi Nigel, I have given up trying to find a foundation supplier that makes the foundation thick enough to hide the wire. If there is any exposed wire my bees just chew the wax away at least half an inch each side trying to remove the foreign object and thus render the comb useless. I have used my own home made foundation in the same colonies and they draw it out perfect every time. Issue is I just can't make enough foundation with a mould to meet my needs but the quality of mine is far superior to any I have ever bought in terms of how the bees use it.
Must be the type of local bees you have around Teesside :D
Mine aren't too bothered by the wire and usually fill the frames wall to wall. I get the occasional queen that avoids laying where the wires are but never have they eaten away the wax around the wires.